FAST WAY TO FIX A TUNE WRITTEN IN THE WRONG BPM

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lastory

FAST WAY TO FIX A TUNE WRITTEN IN THE WRONG BPM

Post by lastory » Wed May 25, 2016 4:19 am

HI Guys,

I wrote a tune in session view and now want to include it in a live set; the problem is I accidentally (STUPIDLY!!) set the BPM to 86 when I started it when in actual fact it is 174BPM. I need to bring the tune back to 174 so that when I import it into my live set with other tunes at the right BPM the clips mix/overlap correctly. When I change the BPM it goes straight into chipmunk mode and drums go nuts.

At this stage, I have to go into EACH clip and change the tempo with the "+2" button.

Unfortunately the "+2" button does show up when I select all clips - thus I cant do a group adjustment, I have to do each on individually.

Any way to get this sorted more quickly?

lastory

Re: FAST WAY TO FIX A TUNE WRITTEN IN THE WRONG BPM

Post by lastory » Wed May 25, 2016 11:19 am

Also realized that when I just press the "+2" button (in clip view) all the automation envelopes in the clip stay in the same location so they all have to be re-set for every clip I have with envelopes inside, total nightmare....

I am wondering if I just freeze and flatten all of them and then press "+2" will it degrade the quality?

ANYONE HAVE ANY BRIGHT IDEAS??
(rather than change every clip and all the embedded envelopes manually one by one)

timday

Post by timday » Wed May 25, 2016 11:59 am

If you have the tune in session view with your other tunes, and they are on separate scenes (i.e. not mashed up together), it might be easier to just change the bpm of the scene(s) your tune is in. You do this by writing the bpm in the scene name i.e. a scene called "verse 120bpm" will play at 120 bpm no matter what bpm you started the set with.

Otherwise what might work is freeze any audio that has already been warped (imported loops etc), take it all out of warp, change the bpm of the set, all before you import into session. I htink as long as the automation lock is off the automation will stay with the audio. The audio bpm then won't change. It might produce fewer artefacts than going +2 then changing the bpm which will effectively warp the audio twice.

lastory

Post by lastory » Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for your response Tim, unfortunately the bpm in scene trick wont do it as I mix stems form one song to another.

I think I understand your second suggestion.
As for the freeze and flatten approach i think the als file that holds the bpm/position data for each loop couldn't be ignored by Ableton thus I am stuck with the current interpretation of each clips BPM. Unless I deleted all of them and then froze each audio clip/track then re-exported it back in again form finder and hope (fingers cross) that it reads it at the double BPM. Am I following you?

II also noticed that if I do the following:

- change the global tempo drom 86 BPM to 174 (correct BPM)
- go into my midi drum clip (which was originally a slice to midi's drum loop) and then double the length of the loop so it matches the faster BPM.....

the audio stutters and just doesnt work, even after trying to change the release etc.

My process currently is: changing every clip lenght manually (doubling), also re-setting the 'preserve' on every loop in beat mode (halving) and then re-slicing to midi all the audio drum loops I previously did it for and re-building the original loops from scratch.

If I am royally screwed then II can live with it but I just want to confirm there is no other way out...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 25, 2016 7:25 pm

:(

i don't have a better solution to offer. i am curious regarding any more you may get though...

*bookmark*

annnnd...

bump!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 am

Yeah I don't have a solution either other than manually doing each clip which I believe would be the only way. I needed to do this same thing starting a track at a higher BPM though the stem files I was working with were half that and it started making a headache later down the line but was too hard basket to go back and change everything.

Jordan Vanderwerf

Post by Jordan Vanderwerf » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:00 pm

Here is something that worked for me
I had my clips in the Arrangement View
I had imported renders of a song at 86bpm to analyze and compare the waveform.
I forgot to change the BPM of the song to match before importing the renders.
Therefore when I went to import one of the tracks into my main project of 86bpm, (by dragging the track from the project folder in Ableton browser)
The render had been sliced up before importing and when i imported the track into Arrangement View, it shrank all the clips and the starting points seemed out of wack.
At this point AUTO WARP was OFF both in the Render project (120BPM) and the 86bpm project I was importing to.
I tried changing Live's warping preferences but nothing changed the way the clips reacted to me adjusting the project tempo.

This is what I did next.

With AUTO WARP OFF in the Render project,

My render project was set to 120bpm with audio clips having a bpm of 86.
I had my clips in Arrangement View and selected all of them turning WARP OFF in the clip settings.

Then I highlighted all the clips and dragged them into a single track in the session view - they stacked on top of each other in the session track.

Then I adjusted my Project BPM from 120 down to 86BPM.
The clips were not stretched but their placement on the grid had been stretched out

Then I dragged the clips from Session View back into the arrangement view, and VOILA
The clips maintained their integrity AND they were placed in sequence in the arrangement view for seamless playback.

AND THEN.....

I selected all the clips in my track and turned WARP ON

This changed the SEG. BPM to 86, which was the actual bpm of the clip.

Then dragging the track into my 86bpm project (the clips still had WARP MODE ON)
The clips played back properly and were in time with the rest of the project.

Now that was easy enough for the track that had clips end to end....
but for a track with clips spaced throughout time,

I created a Silence Clip (which I did by recording the input of an empty track for 8 bars, and then duplicating it for the length of the song, and then consolidating it into one continuous clip)(if there is an easier way to do this let me know)

Then I dragged the clips from my track with spaced out clips overtop of the silence (this was to create spacers),
Then I did the same process as above and was able to drag the Unwarped clips from session view into arrangement (including the silence), Turned warp on, and then have them playback correctly with the other project.