Cuing sounds while toying with MIDI until hitting record?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChrisReinhold

Cuing sounds while toying with MIDI until hitting record?!

Post by ChrisReinhold » Wed May 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Hello community!

I already posted this question on the Q&A Ableton page, but nobody seemed to know, so here I go, maybe you guys know!

First of all, I am having a fantastic time with my Push 2, but one thing really bothers me: I want to make music while playing around live with different Instruments (an 808, a piano, for example, etc.) and when I find a melody/sequence I like, I hit record and loop it or directly place the drum sounds into the sequencer.

Now: So far, when I do this, my 'toying around' with sounds gets put out over the Master Channel (pushing buttons on the bottom left quarter of the Push Controller). What I want, though, is, that my 'toying around' phase is only heard by me over my headphones (channel 1/2) in combination with what runs through the Master (channel 3/4). Then, as soon as I hit record and play my sequence/melody that I want to use, the sound is put out over the Master channel instead of the Cue.

That way, anybody that's listening wouldn't need to hear me trying out a number of shitty sounding drums/melodys until I find something nice.

The big question now is: Is this possible??

Hope to hear from you guys! Any thoughts/insights/impressions are appreciated! <3

bosonHavoc

Re: Cuing sounds while toying with MIDI until hitting record?!

Post by bosonHavoc » Fri May 27, 2016 12:07 am

yes,

first off put an external audio effect on the master bus
set the dry wet to 0%
audio to the same as your cue out
that will then send anything in your master to your headphones

now for the performance part, do you have any other midi controllers?
something like a launch pad or apc 40?
if so we can discuss some methods

for now, I would just build a switch using your audio effects racks
create two chains
put an external audio effect in one route it to your headphones and set dry/wet to 100%
the second chain is empty and will go to the master bus

click chain to show your chain selector
macro map your chain selector to macro one
and set it up to look like this

and set the min to 0 and max to 1 for the macro which will create a switch

then put it your track at the end of the signal flow
make sure that device is selected and you will have a switch to switch between mains and head

i other ways that are potentially better, but aside from me making a video our writing a full on tutorial this is maybe the simplest way get you thinking.

I suggest learning Effects Racks, Instrument Racks, and Drum Racks in depth
especially for what you want to do.

also get a solid understanding of Ableton Signal flow
the external audio effect is really cool.
you can also route tracks to and from other tracks within live too.

Tarekith

Re: Cuing sounds while toying with MIDI until hitting record?!

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 27, 2016 5:50 am

You could use the crossfader for this too, have one track set to receive all audio and feed it to your headphone out, and another track set to receive all audio and pass it to the master. Then you can just use the crossfader to switch between the two.

Alternatively, in the master channel in Live click on it to change the little solo button to be a cue button (set up your cue out in live's preference first). Now you'll see a cue button on every track you can midi assign to send tracks to your cue outs and not the main outs.