Drum Roll with increasing tempo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Paul Pearlstone

Drum Roll with increasing tempo

Post by Paul Pearlstone » Thu May 26, 2016 1:17 pm

I have a complex question for which you may need to listen to a track to understand what I am talking about. Alternatively if you're a drummer, you'll know what I mean.

Ok so I am trying to use a sample to create a drum roll. It is currently being triggered by Midi. It is also being pitch controlled over the course of the roll.

I wish to create the same effect as seen on Dooms Night by Azido De Bass. In this you hear a whomp whomp sound that increases tempo over time.

I want to do this with my sample the same way a drummer rolls from a very slow rate to a high rate. like

| | | | | | |||||

How do I make the midi notes quantise perfectly to create this over a selected period of time?

I have tried manually but it's never perfectly tempo changed and proves to be very time intensive.

Can I add also I don't want to use tempo change due to the fact master tempo will affect any other sounds I will be blending in with the roll at the end of the roll to transition. I also prefer not to bounce it down as the length is not a standard duration.

Paul

Angstrom

Re: Drum Roll with increasing tempo

Post by Angstrom » Thu May 26, 2016 1:27 pm

When I've done this in the past I've used an arpeggiator set onto manual clock speed and recorded the (MIDI) output onto a separate track. I then re-use those recorded clips for fills

to throw a little variation in the velocities you can put a Velocity device after it and play with the randomisation values.

I would never say that this effect sounds like a drummer though, because drummer snare rolls use stick bounce, and that has a specific sound/speed.

Paul Pearlstone

Post by Paul Pearlstone » Fri May 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Thank you that's a great idea! I'll certainly give it a try and see how it sounds. I imagine the transitions between tempo changes could get somewhat sudden but smoothed out manually after.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Paul Pearlstone wrote:Thank you that's a great idea! I'll certainly give it a try and see how it sounds. I imagine the transitions between tempo changes could get somewhat sudden but smoothed out manually after.
If the arp is free running (not tempo synced) its quite smooth

Paul Pearlstone

Post by Paul Pearlstone » Mon May 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Paul Pearlstone wrote:Thank you that's a great idea! I'll certainly give it a try and see how it sounds. I imagine the transitions between tempo changes could get somewhat sudden but smoothed out manually after.
If the arp is free running (not tempo synced) its quite smooth
Hang on so I tried this, my sound sample is currently on a drum rack, so I put the arp on the sample, that didn't seem to work. Maybe I am doing this wrong? Should I put the arp on a separate empty midi track and send the signal to the drum rack or even a totally separate track? Sorry I am noob.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:19 am

suggestion1. Select all midi notes and click drag like you are warping with audio

suggestion 2. Set up a midi patter where the notes are quantised but with decreasing distance between them: export it as a groove. Apply the groove to the midi of your drum track and fiddle with the groove amount.

kleine

Post by kleine » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:09 pm

There's also
http://sonicbloom.net/en/products/drum- ... -for-cats/
(shameless promotion :lol: )

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:31 am

I usually re-sample the drum sound to be 1/4th note (or 1/8th depending on how I want the roll to start) with silence filling in the rest of the note. Put it in a sampler and set it to loop mode. Hold down the key and it will play exactly on the 1/4th note over and over. Next, automate the sampler endpoint and have it keep getting shorter and shorter and you'll get a smooth speeding up drum roll. You can automate pitchbend too for other effects. 8)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /