HELP half of my ableton live sets (projects) are missing?!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
coleboillat

HELP half of my ableton live sets (projects) are missing?!

Post by coleboillat » Thu May 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Hello,

I recently opened Live 9 Suite and went to "Open Recent" only to find that around half of my recent items were grayed out. Upon searching my Macbook Pro for them, they were nowhere to be found. So, like the (I thought) smart, safe, computer-user I am, I remembered that I had recently backed up my computer! So I called Apple Support and helped them walk me through restoring my computer to my last backup...

After several hours, the backup completed, and I searched my computer ONCE AGAIN to find that... NO files had been restored. And these were all files that I had worked on both before and after the last time I had backed up my computer. They were all there. Then suddenly around half of them were (and are still) gone, as if someone logged onto my computer AND my backup drive and deleted the same files. It makes no sense. PLEASE help, as I am freaking out. Months upon months of work are gone in an instant.

Best,

Your fellow live user (cole)

jestermgee

Re: HELP half of my ableton live sets (projects) are missing?!

Post by jestermgee » Thu May 26, 2016 11:53 pm

I have no idea hoe Macs work but where did you physically save them on your system? Apart from the manual time machine backup do you do any other form of regular (daily/weekly) backups? If not, do that too.

Files typically don't simply disappear obviously so they must be somewhere. Could there have been a chance you had an external drive connected where you saved them instead of on your actual machine?

Personally I have a single folder for Ableton Live projects and then sub folders in there for all the different types of projects. It has lived in the same location for 6 years so I know exactly where files are and I have had issues with drive corruption and missing (or 0byte files) on occasion but thankfully I have an hourly automated and incremental backup solution on my server so I can go back months to find a file if need be.

Hopefully you find where they are at because I have lost weeks of work and ideas in the past and know how heart breaking it can be which is why I now have the multiple layers of backups.

coleboillat

Post by coleboillat » Fri May 27, 2016 1:13 am

jestermgee wrote:I have no idea hoe Macs work but where did you physically save them on your system? Apart from the manual time machine backup do you do any other form of regular (daily/weekly) backups? If not, do that too.

Files typically don't simply disappear obviously so they must be somewhere. Could there have been a chance you had an external drive connected where you saved them instead of on your actual machine?

Personally I have a single folder for Ableton Live projects and then sub folders in there for all the different types of projects. It has lived in the same location for 6 years so I know exactly where files are and I have had issues with drive corruption and missing (or 0byte files) on occasion but thankfully I have an hourly automated and incremental backup solution on my server so I can go back months to find a file if need be.

Hopefully you find where they are at because I have lost weeks of work and ideas in the past and know how heart breaking it can be which is why I now have the multiple layers of backups.
I appreciate this advice as it's definitely my future plan. Unfortunately I had them saved throughout different files or just simply in "documents" so I didn't have a single location, which from now on I am going to change. I'm just so used to accessing the most important ones from "open recent" that I forgot where I stored them. Especially my largest project which I had started a year ago and of which I actually had 2 copies, both are gone.

However I know for a fact that they were saved on my computer. I only ever have my backup hard drive plugged in when I'm actually backing up files which is every few weeks. That's why this is so puzzling.

In the future I plan to save several copies in several places as well as in a main location and have more than one form of back up, but I really am praying I can find these files. Especially my largest one. Thanks for the advice, however.

I'm trying to figure out what all these files I've lost had in common because it seems so random but I can't seem to put my *ehem* mouse on it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 27, 2016 5:43 am

If you do a search in OSX Finder, you can't find the files anywhere? If you open Live and try to save a new project, if should default to the last save location too, which could be another way to check and see where the files could me.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering