envelope point editing wtf has happened?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hps909

envelope point editing wtf has happened?

Post by hps909 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:12 am

right this is driving me insane https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov0lxfjw1jeq6 ... g.gif?dl=0

you just cant grab individual points a move them wtf is going on? am i missing something or is this a horrendous bug?
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

Angstrom

Re: envelope point editing wtf has happened?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:18 am

tl;dr - click anywhere off the envelope to deselect the region.

--------------
LONG version - historical probably now as it relates to older L9 versions more than recent ones.

What you are seeing
The issue of "moving one dot and several dots move" comes from the fact that the clip or region is selected.
When the clip or region is selected then any automation movements in that area treat the mousedown as the handle for that whole region. You drag that one automation point up, you just dragged 87 automation points up. Very very slowly.

The bug they "fixed"
In Live 8 it actually did the same thing but a bug/feature meant the region selection was dropped when you clicked a dot. As users this was very useful to us because when selecting a dot in L8 it would automatically drop the region selection and you could edit just one automation point.
In L9 the envelope point creation actions changed. You click once to add a dot, or hover and drag to move automation in Live 9. That was the movement in L8 we all unconsciously learned to drop selection focus from region to a point. In L9 The focus now remains with the active region, and we must now click off the envelope to drop the region selection.

Hope you understood that.

Make sure you have the latest version of Live
As far as I know this feature was improved with more recent versions of L9.
We are currently on L9.6.1 and de-selection seems more intuitive these days.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 am

yeah ok got so used to they way they did it live 8 it was intuitive . i'm on live 9.6.1 ok i have the hang of it now thanks for the quick reply
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:17 am

I still CONSTANTLY drag a single node thinking that node alone will move and go GAAAH, THEY GOT ME AGAIN!! and have to hit Undo, then deselect the region, then move that node.

My brain has just never adapted. It still pisses me off.

Oh well.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 am

mholloway wrote:I still CONSTANTLY drag a single node thinking that node alone will move and go GAAAH, THEY GOT ME AGAIN!! and have to hit Undo, then deselect the region, then move that node.

My brain has just never adapted. It still pisses me off.
I know how you might feel. I'm slowly kinda getting used to this now.
Make some music!