A very complex Macro - possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
soularpower

A very complex Macro - possible?

Post by soularpower » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:54 am

OK here's a challenges for you total tech heads possibly hahah! A Macro with a 'condition' on a single Chain.

I have two Delays and a Gain Utility in my effect chain on one channel. Both Delay1 and Delay2 are individually mapped so that they are switched off until their individual feedback dials move any higher than zero. Both Delay1 and Delay2 also have their Wet/Dry dials mapped to separate, individual knobs on the controller.

When Delay1 Wet/Dry increases to become more Wet, I have used a Macro to reduce the Gain by up to 6db using the Gain Utility.
Delay2 doesn't require any Gain Reduction when it gets Wetter.

So now, if possible, it would be very convenient if I could somehow Map/Macro both Wet/Dry's to the same knob... but with a condition... When Delay1 is switched on, the Gain will reduce by up to 6db as it becomes Wetter. But when Delay1 is switched off, this won't affect the Gain Utility and it will stay at 0db. So obviously, changing the Wet/Dry amount when only Delay2 is switched on is still to have no effect on the Gain.

Any takers? This is not essential, just convenient and tbh now also a big curiosity!!! Thanksies :D

The_Subject

Re: A very complex Macro - possible?

Post by The_Subject » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:49 pm

So to clarify,

One chain.

Sound goes into delay1 (when feedback>0 then switch on to macro1, wet/dry to macro2)
Delay1 feeds into Delay2 (when feedback>0 then switch on to macro3, wet/dry to macro4)
Delay2 feeds into Gain Utility (gain mapped to macro 2, as wet/dry delay 1)

And you need Gain utility to always be on, but the gain control only effective (and not at your default level) when Delay1 feedback>0 (i.e. macro1)

I think I'd approach that with two Gain Utilities, one turns off when the other turns on, and trigger the on/off for them at the same point as the Delay1 comes on.

Would that work?

Another option around that, which may or may not be more use depending on your exact set up, would be grouping the 2 utilities and a chain selection on them connected to Delay1 as well.

soularpower

Re: A very complex Macro - possible?

Post by soularpower » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Hey The_Subject. That's a genius idea. In fact I didn't even end up having to use a Macro. And it wasn't even all that complex. So the heading of this thread is totally wrong :mrgreen:

Here's a screenshot in case you're curious.

"Delay1" is the TAL Dub Delay 2 (awesome!) but when you rotate Wet/Dry in either direction, the volume of either wet or dry increases by up to 6db. "Delay2" is Abelton's own.

What I have done in the end is I have mapped TAL wet/dry and gain -6db reduction to one knob. I have also mapped the wet/dry of ableton's delay to the same knob.
But when this delay is activated (it is activated when I bring up the volume parameter), the gain utility switches off.
As long as I am careful about not activating it when wet/dry is up I get no jumps in gain.

Thanks a lot... it's not the ultimate ideal but it is much better for me having the two wet/dry's on one dial.
Cheers to you buddy!!