Audio Question: Scarlett 2i2 vs. Sound Card

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Audio Question: Scarlett 2i2 vs. Sound Card

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:09 am

jmbtexas4 wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the "feedback." 8O After doing some research, it seems I might be a little too close to the mic causing the proximity effect (even though it's only really prevalent outside of Scarlett).

I never liked backing away from the mic much because I have to turn up the gain on the input which resulted in a hissing noise I didn't like.
Again, you're indicating there is indeed a problem that you acknowledge is real and that can't be heard with the Scarlett. That means you must not be trusting your monitoring. Why would you otherwise contemplating fixing the proximity problem with higher gain* that could bring noise issues? Because if the monitoring can be trusted why fix a problem you can't hear?

I use the SM57 for vocals and yes I EQ the recording, sometimes even when going in. When I do that I'm fully confident I hear the recording/incoming sound as it is and not just how I wish it'd be.

*=When I have issues with hiss or background noise I don't want I use Expander/Gate/Compression set to respond as naturally as possible.
Make some music!

jmbtexas4

Re: Audio Question: Scarlett 2i2 vs. Sound Card

Post by jmbtexas4 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 am

Hello,

After many unsuccessful tweeks, I decided to try recording from a different laptop, and voila...the problem is gone.

I attempted to duplicate all the Ableton settings on the computer with the problem and try again, but I can't figure out how to change the sample rate and latency on it when I go to the Hardware settings screen.

Is it possible sample rate or latency cause this problem?

I checked to make sure there was no EQ on Windows Media or VLC, and I don't see what other computer sound settings I can change to fix it.

I bought this laptop strictly to record on, so I would like to be able to figure out what is going on.

Thanks!