Ableton Master, Digital Performer Slave

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8E

Ableton Master, Digital Performer Slave

Post by 8E » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:15 pm

How to adjust DP9 to be slave to Live?
I need to export multiple MIDI tracks (with effects) into DP9, accurately.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

Machinesworking

Re: Ableton Master, Digital Performer Slave

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:27 pm

octo8 wrote:How to adjust DP9 to be slave to Live?
I need to export multiple MIDI tracks (with effects) into DP9, accurately.
Too little information here, not sure what you're wanting? Slaving DP to Live is "sort of" possible, You can use AIC MIDI In OSX to sync the two and JACK OSX to route audio back and forth. That all sort of takes the place of Rewire, but it's cumbersome.

IMO the best way to work between the two is to bounce audio. Sometimes I import MIDI and presets in a VST between the two, not too bad really. Mostly I do a combination of both of these, for instance Maschine imports between DAWs well, since it directly records the MIDI itself etc.

8E

Post by 8E » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:54 am

I just need to get MIDI output recorded to Digital Performer, so that I can continue working with MIDI in DP. I can't edit if I bounce audio.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD

rae

Post by rae » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Did anyone ever andwer this question?
I would really love Ableton as the master and Digital Performer as the Slave.
Thank you

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 pm

rae wrote:Did anyone ever andwer this question?
I would really love Ableton as the master and Digital Performer as the Slave.
Thank you
The only way to mostly do this is with the aforementioned IAC driver in AudioMIDI Setup, and a third party audio routing software like Jack OS, Soundflower, or the commercial product Rouge Ameba developed. I do not know if this is possible in Windows, but in OSX it's not too bad.

First off set up MTC to the IAC driver in both DP and Live. [ I stand corrected in that it works quite well with the latest versions of DP and Live, syncs the timeline etc. ]

Soundflower is the cheapest, as in free. here:
https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflo ... /ReadMe.md

Easiest is to just run the stereo out from Live, haven't messed with it in a while, but I recall the multi out had some issues.

Set up another IAC port to transmit MIDI to and from DP and Live, and you can replicate what reWire does. It's not too messy, although I often wish someone would write an App that addresses all this since it's obviously possible. :x

Julia123

Post by Julia123 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Has there been an update since this? I would like to use Ableton for all of my midi & VST's/Midi and Digital Performer for my audio. Is this possible? Rewire is allowing Ablton's built in synths and audio but takes away the VST's I want to use in Ableton.
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Julia123 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 pm
Has there been an update since this? I would like to use Ableton for all of my midi & VST's/Midi and Digital Performer for my audio. Is this possible? Rewire is allowing Ablton's built in synths and audio but takes away the VST's I want to use in Ableton.
No, DP does not work as a rewire slave at all, for any software.
Live as a Slave works just fine. Honestly I really don't get this? Live has about 70% the CPU efficiency of DP, and rewire does cost some CPU so you're going to get much better performance out of the combination the way it stands. As I stated earlier it's possible to emulate rewire using an elaborate setup of audio piping devices like Jack etc. and MTC or beat clock etc. to sync both then export audio etc.

Plus, in Live 10 you still can use things like Push 2 to control clips, write drum patterns etc. while Live is a rewire slave.

Julia123

Post by Julia123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks so much for the information. That is interesting about Live vs DP efficiency. I was having some issues with DP crashing and Ableton continuing on with no issues, but of course I have been pushing DP more with all the audio--- I will take a second look at Jack etc. ---
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB