Does a reliable audio interface really exist?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Does a reliable audio interface really exist?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:22 am

headquest wrote: I’m about to upgrade to a new interface, and am considering the UA Apollo Twin Duo…

Any ideas how these rate in terms of reliability? Are they up there with Apogee and RME, or lower down?
UA has excellent support and really good interfaces, you should be fine.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

headquest

Post by headquest » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 am

Tarekith wrote:
headquest wrote: I’m about to upgrade to a new interface, and am considering the UA Apollo Twin Duo…

Any ideas how these rate in terms of reliability? Are they up there with Apogee and RME, or lower down?
UA has excellent support and really good interfaces, you should be fine.
Good to know - many thanks!
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

yoyodyne

Post by yoyodyne » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:51 am

Never had any problems with my Apogee Duet original version nor my RME Fireface 800.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 am

I have found RME (for production) and NI (for DJ/Live) to very reliable so long as you avoid the release of a new product line for the first few months.

TBH avoiding the latest release of anything is probably a good idea.
Nothing to see here - move along!

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 pm

I would like to point out a cheap and very reliable alternative that works across firewire, although admittedly discontinued: ESI Quatafire 610. They are just rock solid, both on PCs and Macs (with no drivers on a Mac). I've been using the one for live performances for over 10 years.

Once in a while they appear on eBay for very attractive prices and they are something I would wholeheartedly recommend if you are on a budget and if you can get your hands on one.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 am

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet regarding RME is the TotalMix software that comes with their interfaces. This is universally regarded as the most fully featured & flexible mixing software provided by any audio interface manufacturer. I can't live without it. Their DigiCheck software is also essential.

I've used RME on stage & in the studio since 2002. Started with a Multiface, moved on to a Fireface UC, & now have a Fireface UCX. Before that I had MOTU (ok), Echo (pretty good), & M-Audio (a nightmare). I love the RME stability, audio quality, support, software, & more.

Will be selling the Fireface UC if anyone is interested (it's pretty much in 'like-new' condition). PM me since I haven't posted it in the For Sale forum yet.

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 pm

Does a reliable audio interface really exist?

Yes.
RME.

Their elegance in Driver coding is just amazing.
I can play L9 VSTI´s on top of Soundcloud-Tracks from Browser-Streaming...
Without any Problems on the same Output!

Like Mathias (RME) said about User Feedback on their Forum:
"Once you have one of them, you immediately fall in Love with it!"

*S.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:33 pm

oblique strategies wrote:One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet regarding RME is the TotalMix software that comes with their interfaces. This is universally regarded as the most fully featured & flexible mixing software provided by any audio interface manufacturer. I can't live without it. Their DigiCheck software is also essential.
I always wished RME made a dedicated mixer style console controller for it similar to the Yamaha 01x console/daw controller (image: http://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/pr ... x-8018.jpg).
The faders are motorised, the knobs are endless and have above get their values displayed above in the strip. Button to switch between mixer and DAW control surface. Direct access to EQ, dynamics, fx send/return and routing matrix from the console. There was a software app like the total mix matrix view for easier access to the audio and midi routing matrix as well. Was deeply integrated with Cubase so I didnt really have to touch the PC much at all for session recording and basic mix.

It was the one thing I really missed when I had to replace my old Yamaha 01x system with a UFX - having a physical mixing console for my hardware and the 01x was actually a good DAW controller console as well. Very similar I/O format to the UFX but split between the mixer console and a separate mlan (firewire) breakout box. Only reason I had to replace it was fucking yamaha stopping software support for it prematurely - the bastards! (It remains the reason while I will NEVER buy any Yamaha computer integrated product ever again - can only run it on 32 bit win XP or similar era OSX).

Internally the routing matrix in the 01x+i88x combo was basically the same as you get with Total mix in combination with an RME UFX becuase it too was a full 3-way (in/out/host) studio recording mixer matrix.

While the UFX is noticeably a much better audio product, I still really miss the physical 01x console and DAW controller:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:46 pm

RME audio interfaces can be controlled with MIDI &/or OSC. I don't know how extensive this is since I haven't tried yet.

They also have TotalMix for iPad.

They have their Advanced Remote Control (ARC), but it's currently only for the Fireface UFX.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Yeh - not quite he same.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:17 am

tc electronics konnekt 48 has been going strong since 08 for me with out skipping a beat

i also have a korg zero 4 which admittedly doesn't get used as much as the TC but has never given me grief except for a weak as piss headphone amp
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:08 pm

hps909 wrote:tc electronics konnekt 48
8)

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:10 pm

LOVING my Focusrite Clarrett 8 pre. No issues at all. Also dug my old scarlett 2i4 but the sound quality was so much better once I plugged the new Clarrett in. Plus it's thunderbolt if that means anything.

tintala

Post by tintala » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:05 am

Funny I just put in a bid for a clarett pre4 thunderbolt for 450$, my latency has been killing me for the last 8 yrs, Ive yet to NOT HAVE LATENCY, so I decided to upgrade the interface. not sure if this will help, but Ive already upgraded my system, i7 core, 4790 k devils canyon cpu, z97 mb, 32 gb ram, this should do it but I still have HORRIBLE latency. I hate it. I cant record anyone when I need too, its embarassing.