Getting frustrated with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Division Monarchy

Getting frustrated with Ableton

Post by Division Monarchy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:47 am

Ableton can't freeze a track without crashing it seems. After searching around the Internet, it's obvious that this has been a problem for a few years now for many users. Is this ever going to be fixed? When I bought Live, I don't recall asking for a broken piece of software. The company is getting way to ahead of itself. Since version 9 came out, they've released two Push units, but haven't done jack to fix a lot of practical core issues it seems.
They never bothered to make M4L anything but a clunky, bug ridden mess. Add the fact that the Re-Enable Automation "feature" just fucks up automation playback. I love the creative aspect of the program, but ignoring so many fundamentals is counterintuitive to the otherwise great workflow. It's like the 80/20 rule is being ignored here because the company just had to rush out Push 2 and focus so much on getting DJ Cockfiddle to do some promotional interviews to put on the website to show the hipsters how awesome Ableton is. I don't mean to rant, but after using this program since version 2, I really feel like as much potential the product has, it is falling short in many ways. I have no intention to stop using it, I'm just begging for the company to refocus a bit more on the core product and start fixing issues in a timely manner.

Tarekith

Re: Getting frustrated with Ableton

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:38 am

Are there certain plug ins that you're seeing the crashes with on those tracks?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:41 am

I hope the new simpler is the sign of them realizing the importance of refining existing feature of their host.

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:26 am

Plugins I use are NI, Softube, Izotope, Sugarbytes, Tal-Togu, Serum, Arturia, XILS and Waves. I got rid of the M4L devices, because those are usually the culprits for me having crash issues.

I never have issues with the plugins themselves really, other than finding out Waves work better as VST than AU. Every time I use a M4L device, things tend to slow up.

Every thing is a clean install on a 4 month old MBP, which is only used for music production. I always send in my crash reports. The thing is, I've been seeing users have these issues for years now. I realize being a programmer is difficult because of all the variables and changes, but I have to wonder if sometimes marketing is taking precident over fixing the things that are still broken for users.

On the plus side I guess, Link is great and flawless. Ableton has to know us users hold them to the highest standards :wink:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:49 am

Division Monarchy wrote:Ableton can't freeze a track without crashing it seems. After searching around the Internet, it's obvious that this has been a problem for a few years now for many users. Is this ever going to be fixed? When I bought Live, I don't recall asking for a broken piece of software. The company is getting way to ahead of itself. Since version 9 came out, they've released two Push units, but haven't done jack to fix a lot of practical core issues it seems.
They never bothered to make M4L anything but a clunky, bug ridden mess. Add the fact that the Re-Enable Automation "feature" just fucks up automation playback. I love the creative aspect of the program, but ignoring so many fundamentals is counterintuitive to the otherwise great workflow. It's like the 80/20 rule is being ignored here because the company just had to rush out Push 2 and focus so much on getting DJ Cockfiddle to do some promotional interviews to put on the website to show the hipsters how awesome Ableton is. I don't mean to rant, but after using this program since version 2, I really feel like as much potential the product has, it is falling short in many ways. I have no intention to stop using it, I'm just begging for the company to refocus a bit more on the core product and start fixing issues in a timely manner.
While probably not a comfort this has never ever happened to me when freezing and I used to freeze most tracks before. I use Native Instruments, Softube, Izotope and Waves of the brands you mention and also Fxpansion, Hofa, Soundtoys, Melda, Bluecat, Klanghelm, Brainworx, Unfiltered Audio, SkNote, Tokyo Dawn Recording, Valhalla, EAReckon, BOZ Labs and others.

I agree that Ableton should continue to focus on the core of Live. Let's give them credit for what they actually have done in this area since 9.2 as well.
Make some music!