Hide your laptop on stage tips? No screen performance tips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
miekwave

Hide your laptop on stage tips? No screen performance tips?

Post by miekwave » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:51 pm

I have a launchpad, korg nanokeys, nano kontrol, interface.
I go in my power settings and set Close Screet Settings from "sleep/hibenate" to "do nothing". and place the laptop on rack.
My issue is loading sets (other songs) without looking at the screen. Is there a way to open sets without looking at the screen?

Angstrom

Re: Hide your laptop on stage tips? No screen performance tips?

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm

You should just confuse matters. Get a bunch of fake stunt laptops. Shoplift the ones on display at Ikea. Pull them out on stage and throw them on the floor and at the audience. Grind on them and squirt lighter fluid on them, hendrix style. Make fiery sexual love to them while screaming "what the fuck is wrong with you people"

Throw people off the scent.
Ikea laptops.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:15 am

You should just confuse matters. Get a bunch of fake stunt laptops. Shoplift the ones on display at Ikea. Pull them out on stage and throw them on the floor and at the audience. Grind on them and squirt lighter fluid on them, hendrix style. Make fiery sexual love to them while screaming "what the fuck is wrong with you people"
Can't top that, but as a plan B....

What's the rest of the bands set up? We got around it with 66% effectivity by moving all three band members (each with a laptop) into one big desk-top so now only one of us has a screen...

Otherwise, depends on complexity of your tracks, are you DJing or what? You could put all your tracks into one set?

Alternatively, if you've got some cash to chuck at it, I recently got a raspberry pi screen and circuitry, so I had a monitor, but it was about 2x4 inches and really awkward to use but adequate enough for changing track.

Learn how many keyboard strokes on what keys it is to just go "file" ..."open recent"..."second file down in the list" etc...

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:27 am

You're thinking about it wrong. Instead of opening different sets, merge all your stuff into one big set. Yes, it's tedious pain in the ass and will take time. However, you will be able to navigate this big ass set.
Alternatively, you could use VNC or RDP on a tablet or smartphone, but that would defeat the purpose of not having a laptop lid open. Maybe even get creative with scripting using PowerShell or AppleScript reading MIDI trigger events. Both of those options add layers of complexity, which means just something else to go wrong on stage.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 am

it's something i'm currently thinking about trying to do with my softstep. i want to make a mfl patch which will somehow tell me where i am in the session view in the 4 digit softstep display. then have the lights for each button tell me what it's doing. i know it's do-able but i haven't figured it out yet, or had time to do it. i guess it would mean reducing my set size to make it less complicated but that might be a good thing.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Basically, I'm play keys with drummer/percussionist, upright bass player and two babes on the mic.
For the stage, I'm using

Singers Setup is
TC-Helicon and various vocal stuff
Monitors
Guitars/Stage piano, violin

Bass Setup is
Amp

Drummer Setup
Lots of drums :)

My HW KB setup is
Mackie Board for Analog Mixing, CS6x for quick access poly synth, Microkorg for synth mono/basslines, Korg SV1 for Piano/EP/Strings, RM1x for Beats

My Ableton setup is
Discrete Laptop (only loop at screen to change sets)
Korg Nanokeys - To play VST parts
Korg Nano Kontrol (transport and channel mute/mix/pan)
Korg Launch Pad for Scene Launch (Scene 1-4 are Main Groove, Scene 5-8 are Filler grooves) -

I run out of ram when I combine sets

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:57 am

One option might be to learn some coding language and whip up some quick scripts to load your sets?

My goto for this kind of stuff (windows) is AutoITv3.

You could essentially create a script that could open the file of choice, deal with any popups (such as "do you want to save"), close the previous program etc.

You can use something like Bomes to launch each script from a MIDI device or even something like a programmable computer keyboard like a logitech gaming keyboard with each set script mapped to a macro.

It would all be possible... just not straight forward to setup.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:18 am

If you've got M4L, you might want to try this:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... set-simple

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:07 am

stuartm wrote:If you've got M4L, you might want to try this:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... set-simple

If you use that you have to do it this way ;-)

BIG RED BUTTON MIDI CONTROLLER
https://github.com/oliviano/Big-Red-Button