Play Notes with APC mini

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nc2010

Play Notes with APC mini

Post by nc2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:29 pm

By default, there are 2 ways of using APC mini :
  • Preferences > MIDI > Control Surface > None > None > None : then APC mini sends MIDI NoteOn / NoteOff, but we cannot use the cool APC mini features, such as faders controling Volume, Pan, Devices, etc. with SHIFT + button
  • Preferences > MIDI > Control Surface > APC mini > APC mini > APC mini : then APC mini launches Session View clips, but cannot send MIDI NoteOn / NoteOff...
Is it possible, by editing a MIDI Remote Script, to have :
  • lower part of APC mini working as usual (like with Control Surface > APC mini enabled)
  • upper part of APC mini (=pads) that send MIDI notes instead of launching clips
If someone has experience with the Python script, thanks a lot in advance :)

S4racen

Re: Play Notes with APC mini

Post by S4racen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Yeah that's going to be a ton of work for someone... Better off buying a controller that does that, you'll spend the same getting it programmed...

Cheers
D

nc2010

Post by nc2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Really a ton of work?
Looking at the .py files here (not the .pyc) for these controllers, it seems to be quite short files (< 30 lines sometimes).

Of course one needs to know how it works :)

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Ever figured this one out?

I would love to have it the other way around:

- Work with the clip launch grid as it does out-of-the-box in Akai's script.
- Manually map ("hard-wire") the faders per my own needs.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm

nc2010 wrote:Really a ton of work?
Looking at the .py files here (not the .pyc) for these controllers, it seems to be quite short files (< 30 lines sometimes).

Of course one needs to know how it works :)
Yeah.

The very fact these control scripts are short would indicate they don't contain the functionality you hoped for. Like these devices for the APC-20 and 40.

Did you check out Arsenal?
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:Ever figured this one out?

Doesn't simply assigning the faders via Midi override the script behavior?

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 pm

S4racen wrote:Yeah that's going to be a ton of work for someone... Better off buying a controller that does that, you'll spend the same getting it programmed...

Cheers
D
Probably not a solution for everyone, but I use Bomes MT to customize all my controllers in the desired way. It's easy to either totally customize the whole controller in very intricate ways, or to use parts from a remote script and other parts as custom.

Learning to do this in Bomes MT is also much easier to learn than to learn writing remote scripts in Phyton (especially if you don't know Phyton yet). (IMO of course)

It costs 70€, but only second to Live it has become the most used and loved program for me. It simply empowered me to do sooo much more with my controllers. 8)
Last edited by TomKern on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:43 pm

TomKern wrote:

That's what I hoped, and I can't test it yet because the Mini hasn't arrived yet, but the manual and various sources online suggest that this isn't possible. Will test asap though.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Bomes might be something worth looking into on the long run, but for now I'm not ready to spend the same amount of money on Bomes as I did on the APC mini :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:
TomKern wrote:

That's what I hoped, and I can't test it yet because the Mini hasn't arrived yet, but the manual and various sources online suggest that this isn't possible. Will test asap though.
I hope it works out for you.
But if you happen on these situations often, I suggest to check out my other post. Once you know your way around Bomes MT you will never again have this sort of problem.

Btw, I own the APC Mini and I found the interaction of it with the Midi remote script extremely wonky.

I needed to run it through Bomes to filter out all these issues.
But I might have had a bad batch, since other users don't seem to have the same problem.

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks. I replied just before your last post regarding Bomes.

I deliberately ordered the unit instead of buying it in a physical store, to be able to test and send it back if needed – since I read some wonky experiences online indeed.
Let's hope it works well from the box.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:59 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:Bomes might be something worth looking into on the long run, but for now I'm not ready to spend the same amount of money on Bomes as I did on the APC mini :)

Thanks for your suggestions.
That might seem reasonable, but honestly Bomes MT is way more powerful than any one controller I have. It makes the difference of having the controller do exactly what you want and having to rely on what was supplied by the manufacturer.

Just as an example my live set-up contains six Midi controllers (one of them self build) having an assortments of faders, knobs, buttons and 8x8 grids; working with parts of remote scripts (like step sequencers) and parts of highly customized functions. All with light feedback, shift buttons etc.
All of them work together as if they are one huge control surface and everything is super stable and light on CPU (unlike many of the M4L efforts).
And I can't code a single line of Phyton if you held a gun to my head.

Just Live, Clyphx and Bomes MT 8)

2pauluzz2

Post by 2pauluzz2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, you've certainly made me interested in understanding Bomes more. I just had a bit of a read and I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind when I start testing/practicing my live set.

Cheers :)

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:14 pm

2pauluzz2 wrote:Well, you've certainly made me interested in understanding Bomes more. I just had a bit of a read and I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind when I start testing/practicing my live set.

Cheers :)
8)

Obviously it has a bit of a learning curve, and you won't realize the set-up above in a couple of days after buying the software. (I have been perfecting this set-up for close to two years now - though that is not because of the learning curve, but more about figuring out what it is I want to do).

But as far as all the programming environments go (scripting, M4L) it's one of the easiest. Most structural stuff is provided by the software you simply need to write a few set of rules in basic programming terms like if-then and goto statements and some handling of variables with simple math.
It basically lets you route and change/translate your Midi messages in any way you can imagine 8)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:25 pm

i started out with Bomes, the stuff you learn from using it can easily be translated if you want to go deeper with maxforlive...

Cheers
D