Stoping a clip from launching ??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brian sansone

Stoping a clip from launching ??

Post by brian sansone » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Any way to set a clip to not launch on a scene launch.

My idea is to have a scene launch play back just some of the clips within the scene, while others you can add in as the beat goes on.

That way one scene could function as several scenes that progressively add parts; for the sake of cleanliness and simplicity.

Thanks
Brian

S4racen

Re: Stoping a clip from launching ??

Post by S4racen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Group Clips...

Or LaunchSync PRO and it's exclude functionality...

Cheers
D

brian sansone

Post by brian sansone » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:38 pm

How could I use grouped tracks?
I used tons of grouped tracks in my projects.

wow that isotonik product looks really useful. I do run all the different controllers, sometimes all at once.

brian sansone

Post by brian sansone » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:00 pm

I just found a max device called Kapture. You can "capture" all the settings in your entire live set, and use scene launches to
instantly load "captured "sets.

Maybe a scene launch could launch a live set that has only the clips I want playing. We'll see??

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:11 am

i think in trying to un-complicate things you are over complicating them....

the group of scenes that you are wishing to act as one scene...is in reality the entire session view....that is the "global scene"

remove stop buttons and try using "clip cascades" to get the effect you looking for

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 am

My performance M4L patch could do that :
it's basically a scene launcher with exceptions. Originally made to recall previously recorded loops when i trigger a scene, but could trigger an empty clip / silence clip instead. PM me if it seems interesting to you.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 pm

I agree with the notion that your attempt to 'simplify' is actually making things more complex and problematic than they need to be (especially considering that in order to achieve it you need new functionality entirely).

Here's my question:

You have a scene, call it your 'primary main basic scene' or whatever. In it are just the clips that you want to play when it starts. So you start it, and it's playing and looping....

...You DO realize that while it's playing and looping, ANY other clip from ANYWHERE in the session view can be launched, and will be added to your scene and keep playing along with it....which is essentially what you've said you want to do. So what's the problem? You're saying you've got other clips that you want to play in the scene, but not when it first launches -- ok, just put them in a different scene, and launch them individually whenever the heck you want to while the first scene is still playing. Why complicate things by trying to have them in the initial scene, but not launching with that scene, and only launching later?

I just can't functionally see the use of what you're imagining, when Live offers so much functionality already for launching clips from everywhere and keeping them all in sync.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:27 am

mholloway wrote: I just can't functionally see the use of what you're imagining
Keeping stuff in a small space is a good reason.
I personally hate scrolling through scenes with LP/Push/whatever.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1