Is a mixer the right purchase?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dafeda

Is a mixer the right purchase?

Post by dafeda » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:47 am

Hi,

I have an apollo twin duo interface and play keys, guitar and sing some.
I can't have my keyboard and microphone connected at the same time due to the number of inputs.
That's fine, but I would like to avoid having to plug out my keys in order to plug in my microphone.
Could I buy a mixer, connect everything to it, then connect the mixer to the interface for easier switching between instruments?
I'm new to all this so please be patient :)

I would also like to buy a record player to play around with sampling from it, it just seems like so much fun.
Could I then connect the record player to the mixer as well so that I can switch to that when I want to sample or just
listen to music?

Please suggest some gear if you have the time.

Thanks!

Tarekith

Re: Is a mixer the right purchase?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:57 am

Yes you can do all that, just keep in mind you'd only be able to record either all of the intruments at once as a stereo file, or solo instruments and record them one at a time still.

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:03 am

Tarekith wrote:Yes you can do all that, just keep in mind you'd only be able to record either all of the intruments at once as a stereo file, or solo instruments and record them one at a time still.
Thanks! I don't need to be able to record several things at once, so that's great.
Do I have to be careful when buying mixers?
I'm happy with the sound I get when recording using my apollo twin, and would not like to make it worse.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:19 am

Well, that's a pretty high end sound card, so I'd definitely avoid going with a budget mixer if you're concerned about sound quality. I've always had great luck with the smaller Mackie mixers, but I admit it's been awhile since I compared them with other options too.

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:31 am

That makes sense, thanks!

EnemyofSilence

Post by EnemyofSilence » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Since it's only additional inputs you're after, you might look into analog to ADAT units such as a Digimax. You have 8 channels of digital input you're not taking advantage of. You would be able to record all the inputs simultaneously, if you wish (unison only on the built in pre's though).

Anyway, worth looking into. That's how I'm using my Twin.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:49 pm

EnemyofSilence wrote:Since it's only additional inputs you're after, you might look into analog to ADAT units such as a Digimax. You have 8 channels of digital input you're not taking advantage of. You would be able to record all the inputs simultaneously, if you wish (unison only on the built in pre's though).

Anyway, worth looking into. That's how I'm using my Twin.
I agree. I love my Mackie, but if you only need more inputs, using your ADAT input is the way I would go. It will cost you about the same as a good quality mixer (suitable for the Apollo), and a mixer will add another layer of complexity to your setup without giving you the option to record additional channels.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Never heard of adat really. I have some reading to do. Thanks guys!

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 am

So I did a bit of research and of course there are tons of options.
How much difference is there between preamps?
I mean, if I get the Behringer ADA8200 and record my guitar or vocals through
it instead of the Apollo Twin, would I be totally disgusted by the quality?
I like the price of the Behringer stuff, but I won't get it if its
preamps are much worse than the Apollo Twin's.
Would be great to do a blind test of preamps, i suspect that I would fail miserably :)

Thanks.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:35 am

Yeah, you've set the bar pretty high with the Apollo. :) The preamps in the ADAT unit are going to be critical to maintaining the audio quality you''re used to. But you would have had the same problem with a mixer too.

I'd dig around on the Sound On Sound website and see which units they've reviewed. They are very thorough when they test gear and I've found them very helpful in these kinds of decisions if I can't test the gear personally before I buy.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 am

dafeda wrote: if I get the Behringer ADA8200 and record my guitar or vocals through it instead of the Apollo Twin, would I be totally disgusted by the quality?
I don't know about that, but personally I don't associate Behringer with quality sound. That might be unfair, but it's true. It's when you record with microphones the quality of most preamps and ADCs reveal themselves (also true for the microphones in use themselves of course).
Make some music!

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks for replying guys.
I'm a big fan of blind tests in everything from audio to wine,
as I believe most people are highly biased.
Sound on Sound actually did some blind testing on preamps, and the results are as I would expect:
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/preamp-post-mortem

One thing I like to think about sometimes is that our senses evolved
to allow us to survive, not discern between a vintage neve and a presonus :)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:33 am

dafeda wrote:Sound on Sound actually did some blind testing on preamps, and the results are as I would expect:

Now that is funny!! :lol: I own the ART Pro MPA II and use it to record all my vocals. I upgraded the tubes as soon as I got it. Still... every time I see those fancy preamps in the local music store, I get the itch to "upgrade". Guess I'll stick to the ART!

Thanks for posting that article!

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 am

Richie Witch wrote:
dafeda wrote:Sound on Sound actually did some blind testing on preamps, and the results are as I would expect:

Now that is funny!! :lol: I own the ART Pro MPA II and use it to record all my vocals. I upgraded the tubes as soon as I got it. Still... every time I see those fancy preamps in the local music store, I get the itch to "upgrade". Guess I'll stick to the ART!

Thanks for posting that article!
That's great mate! When some of my friends says that they prefer X over Y, be it cheese, wine or audio-gear, we try to set up a blind test. You'd be surprised! I've got a friend who is really into wine, buying very expensive stuff.
I did some research and bought 2 red and 2 white wines. The task was to say which one was white and which one red.
He failed, and failed bad. We have to at all times remember that people are full of s*** :)

EnemyofSilence

Post by EnemyofSilence » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:44 am

I'd venture to say that for your setup the preamps are less important than the quality of the converters, and especially the clock of whatever unit you buy. The 2 pre's and the converters on the Apollo are really good, and with unison can get some awesome sounds - use those for microphones or if you're recording guitar direct. It sounds like the extra inputs are really needed for your keys, and don't need more mic preamps.

But while the Apollo twin has the ADAT input, when used, it has to be synced to the incoming signal (slaved)- it has no way to be a master clock to an external device. Slaving the Apollo to a crappy clock (ala the Behringer) will adversely effect everything going thru the Twin, even via the mic pre's. I have an older ADA8000, and it's ok-ish for line level signals it it's slaved to a good clock. As a master, no. And with the Twin, there's no way around it.

ya don't have to go nuts with it, but I'd stay away from the Behringer for this. I've used my older Presonus Digimax LT with the twin, and it's fine. I've also used a Motu 828 Mk2 as a digital mixer, sending via ADAT to the Twin. It's not an Apogee, but it works quite well. You can probably pick something like that up for a couple hundred, used.

Food for thought