optimising my set for a live thing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slatepipe

optimising my set for a live thing

Post by slatepipe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:04 am

hi - i'm supposedly playing at a small festival in august and i been working on a live set to do this. so i got a few questions about not overloading it :

i been jamming around with the set and have captured a few of the jams using resampling. i also have brought in a few samples to try out but have decided not to use them. if i have deleted these resampled recordings and unused clips from the session view then are they not used in the set anymore or are they still referenced in some way and therefore still eating up memory? if this is true then how do i get the set to load up without loading up these unwanted/unused samples ?

i remember with another set i was using i would sometimes get a low memory error (or out of memory) when i recorded too many samples into the session which would crash ableton.

also - some of the samples i am using are small parts from complete song mp3's. if i right click on the wav in the clip view and then select 'crop clip' does this then mean that the unused parts of the rest of the mp3 are then not used and are therefore saving memory?

thanks for any knowledge :)

mothergarage

Re: optimising my set for a live thing

Post by mothergarage » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am

In the file menu there is an option to manage your set. all referenced samples are listed there.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:21 pm

Heya,
there're so many things you could do to make live set hold water, but I'll focus on the areas of your immediate interest:
1) You could Save As your set to a new folder, and then Collect All and Save. That should ditch whatever media is still in your initial Project Folder. Let me know if I'm off!
2) Stick with wav/aiff files. Ableton is converting mp3's for playback. If that's too messy or lossy at this point, to convert, find replacements, etc, use RAM mode judiciously among your clips. Freeze and Flatten where effects are not evolving, i.e., where you have the same envelope lengths as clip lengths.
3) Resample in lower bit depths, say 16-bit. Ableton is capable of 32-bit, which is compatible with internal busing in other DAWs. For what people hear over a PA, it's overkill. This is a preferences option. But whatever it is, just agree on the same format for what you are recording/resampling and what you are importing/sampling/dropping in.

Like the sound, slatepipe!

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:56 am

why thank you :D

i'll check these tips, cheers. i not had a live gig crash yet with this laptop but this is a new project/live set and i'm working with different people, instruments and controllers this time

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Also helps to remove unused stop buttons in session view. Don't know why but people say that lightens CPU load.