UNABLETON

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Gnarly Charlie

UNABLETON

Post by Gnarly Charlie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:14 pm

After finishing a DJ set recorded through Ableton with an Audiohub, I cannot find any way to simply convert my mix to mp3 for an upload.

For a start, when in Arrangement View, there is no waveband so I cannot see where my mix starts or ends.

I must say that after reaching out to Ableton on a number of platforms, i am still without reply and I'm no closer to my solution.

Very displeased with my experience with the software so far. I feel as though I need to do a crash course on music tech before I can get anywhere with this mind-boggling interface.

Also, exporting to SoundCloud doesn't work either...

beats me

Re: UNABLETON

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Live doesn't convert to mp3. Toss it in iTunes and convert. Done.

If you are uploading to SoundCloud it doesn't need to be in mp3 format.

mp3 should probably be frowned upon like Flash at this point. Much better options out there but I guess people are just stuck in their ways.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Gnarly Charlie wrote:For a start, when in Arrangement View, there is no waveband so I cannot see where my mix starts or ends.
Really confused by this statement. Every audio track in Arrangement view has a waveform. Do you have the tracks collapsed? Is only the title bar of the clip shown?
Win10/Intel i7 rig | Live 10 | MOTU 16A | DSI Prophet~6, Yamaha DX7S, Hypersynth Xenophone, Korg MS2000R and Electribe ER-1, Novation BassStation Rack and Circuit | 12U of Eurorack | variety of compressors and other outboard gear | Dune 3, Enzyme, Kontakt

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:02 pm

beats me wrote:Live doesn't convert to mp3. Toss it in iTunes and convert. Done.

If you are uploading to SoundCloud it doesn't need to be in mp3 format.

mp3 should probably be frowned upon like Flash at this point. Much better options out there but I guess people are just stuck in their ways.
Agreed.

SoundCloud compresses your track regardless of the format you upload, so uploading an mp3 means compounding the loss of audio quality.

If you don't like iTunes, you can download a free Tracktion 4. It includes mp3 conversion. I've been importing my wav file from Live into Tracktion 4 to do mp3-appropriate tweaks before exporting to mp3, that way, my Live project doesn't get polluted with those unnecessary adjustments. Pretty handy, actually.
Win10/Intel i7 rig | Live 10 | MOTU 16A | DSI Prophet~6, Yamaha DX7S, Hypersynth Xenophone, Korg MS2000R and Electribe ER-1, Novation BassStation Rack and Circuit | 12U of Eurorack | variety of compressors and other outboard gear | Dune 3, Enzyme, Kontakt

koranek

Post by koranek » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Unableton. Why didn't I ever think of that.
Licensed Counselor
johnkoranekcounseling.com
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6 core Xeon, 32 G ram, OS 10.12.6
Push 2
Novation Impulse
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 10 Sweet

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Un Able To "N"

Where N equals anything past page 125 in the manual :)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:52 pm

1. Install homebrew following the instructions at http://brew.sh
2. Run updates: brew doctor, brew update all
3. Install ffmpeg: brew install ffmpeg
4. Convert your file: ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/thebounceofthemixyoujustmade.aif ~/Desktop/theoutputfile.mp3

2ez

morbid

Post by morbid » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 am

hacktheplanet wrote:1. Install homebrew following the instructions at http://brew.sh
2. Run updates: brew doctor, brew update all
3. Install ffmpeg: brew install ffmpeg
4. Convert your file: ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/thebounceofthemixyoujustmade.aif ~/Desktop/theoutputfile.mp3

2ez
Or

1. Finish DJ Mix
2. Save file as 'David Guetta is my mum'
3. Stab self in neck with pencil
3. Profit

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:18 am

Gnarly Charlie wrote:I cannot find any way to simply convert my mix to mp3 for an upload.
you cant export mp3's in from ableton. i use format factory http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/
Gnarly Charlie wrote:I feel as though I need to do a crash course on music tech before I can get anywhere with this mind-boggling interface.
that's probably a good idea

also - have you clicked the little triangle in the bottom left corner? it opens the info view which will tell you what each area on the screen does when you hover over it