how to "disarm" a midi track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
laurentius

how to "disarm" a midi track?

Post by laurentius » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 pm

I cannot figure this out: I wanna disarm a miditrack.
Example: I have a soft synth on a midi track and play it from my masterkeyboard (which is a synth). Then I wanna jam on the synth, but the soft synth is still triggered unless I highlight another (empty) midi track...

What did I miss?

L.

Fanu

Re: how to "disarm" a midi track?

Post by Fanu » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Unarm. Click the round note symbol at the bottom so it's no longer red.

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:56 pm

Ok, I forgot to mention this: It works they way as you described only when Push is disconnected. With Push connected the arm button always stays red. If I push it again it turns light red, but it's still armed...

waxings

Post by waxings » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:50 pm

I’m having the same problem. Any way to fix this?

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:14 pm

It's a pain in the ass.

laurentius

Post by laurentius » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:14 pm

It's a pain in the ass.

waxings

Post by waxings » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Is there a way to fix it?

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Don’t use Push.... :evil:
They went so wrong with Push.
Very few good ideas, no flexibility, and pollution on the software even for non Push users.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

waxings

Post by waxings » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:13 pm

I got it working. Reset My template and added a Audi track I. From of my midi tracks. It works now. Strange

jlip

Post by jlip » Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 am

Yeah this is kind of annoying, especially if you want to use session view to trigger clips live using e.g. Launchpad.

How do you stop a clip if you can't un-arm it? All the other buttons become record buttons

As waxings mentioned, I added an audio track, and by selecting the audio track I'm able to unarm the midi tracks. However it seems stupid that you have an add an empty audio track just for this purpose. [UPDATE] This actually doesn't work, as soon as you tap some pads in session view it automatically arms the last track you tapped

[UPDATE 2] ok I discovered the "Stop Clip" function on Launchpad, but it still seems weird that every time I trigger a clip Ableton arms that track. How are you supposed to tap on an empty pad? Can you disable this?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat May 30, 2020 2:09 am

laurentius wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:14 pm
I cannot figure this out: I wanna disarm a miditrack.
Example: I have a soft synth on a midi track and play it from my masterkeyboard (which is a synth). Then I wanna jam on the synth, but the soft synth is still triggered unless I highlight another (empty) midi track...

What did I miss?

L.
I have a similar issue.

Actually I like auto arming when in the studio and only using one midi controller.

But for live use have two native scripted midi keyboards can be a pain as many rely on either autoarming on selection or manually arming on selection. What happens is, the arming will conflict with your other track that's armed.

Only two solutions I can think of so far is:

1. Use native support on one keyboard only and other keyboard use manual mappings to manually arm.

2. Have one keyboard always focused on one track and use VST like Akai vip or Komplete kontrol to change sounds. Second keyboard is on several tracks all input monitored and use mute functions to mute sounds in and out.

If Ableton can find a "smarter" way of auto arming tracks to allow two different controllers to auto arm tracks without cancelling out the others exclusive arm, that would be a winner.

sj1

Post by sj1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Live 11, March 2021.

Undefeatable auto-arming of MIDI tracks (with LPP MK3 connected) is ruining my ability to work with my Live sets as I wish to.

If there is a solution, please advise!

Else please, please fix ASAP to allow the possibility of Record Arm On only when/if the user chooses it and Record Arm Off only when/if the user chooses it.
Live 11, Windows 10 Pro, LPP MK3

MIDIPhonic

Post by MIDIPhonic » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28 pm

I noticed this automatic arming too on the Launchpad. It turns off when I switched to Session View on the Push 2. Curious...