Not Mastering

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
naomifix

Not Mastering

Post by naomifix » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:38 pm

I like to focus mainly on the composing/writing of music and also I sing so I exert a lot of time and energy that way. If I'm not mastering my music or doing ALL the mixing/editting what is the most important things? I have read not to use compression at all. Any advice?

Tarekith

Re: Not Mastering

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 am

Not sure I follow you. Most important things for what?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 am

naomifix wrote:I like to focus mainly on the composing/writing of music and also I sing so I exert a lot of time and energy that way. If I'm not mastering my music or doing ALL the mixing/editting what is the most important things?
It would seem the answer is in your question. Focus on the composing and recording. Use the effects you need to aid this process. That may include simple EQ adjustments and some mild compression depending on your material and your instrumentation. If you keep this on the Track strip in Live you can always change the usage of these and deliver projects without any effects if you choose to.
Make some music!

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:33 pm

As Stormkraft wrote above, if you are just recording but not mixing or editing the most important thing is to get each track recorded as cleanly as possible. Pay close attention to background noises, clipping distortion, tuning inconsistencies, etc.

EQ and compression should only be used when really needed.

Insert effects should not be used at all.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:37 pm

naomifix wrote:I like to focus mainly on the composing/writing of music and also I sing so I exert a lot of time and energy that way. If I'm not mastering my music or doing ALL the mixing/editting what is the most important things? I have read not to use compression at all. Any advice?

I'd say focusing on the music aspect and recording techniques and possibly creative sound/effects design.

If you got people that can mix/master for you, that will put some weight off of your shoulders.

Also in general, the better songwriter/arranger/recordist you are, the easier you make it for the people who have to mix/master your music.

It might be a good idea to learn how to use a limiter so you can listen to your songs outside the studio and not have to worry about a wimpy level compared to commercial releases.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:27 am

Stromkraft wrote:
naomifix wrote:I like to focus mainly on the composing/writing of music and also I sing so I exert a lot of time and energy that way. If I'm not mastering my music or doing ALL the mixing/editting what is the most important things?
It would seem the answer is in your question. Focus on the composing and recording. Use the effects you need to aid this process. That may include simple EQ adjustments and some mild compression depending on your material and your instrumentation. If you keep this on the Track strip in Live you can always change the usage of these and deliver projects without any effects if you choose to.
agreed.

focus on what you're good at... your passion. that's what makes it art.... the rest is work. i can tell you first hand that trying to do it all can burn you out, especially with vocals. i spent much of my early time with DAWs recording anyone and everyone playing instruments and recording them. the weight of trying to make everyone happy and still slip in my "part" of the actual music, not just the work, became tiresome and lost the fun after a while. you don't want that.

for me, i spend so much time trying to get the track right to record the vocals that by the time i'm ready to do so i'm burned out on the track - almost sick of hearing it. this is a dilemma. it's even worse now that all the peeps i used to jam with moved away or became too self absorbed and dickish to continue to work with. you lose the muse in that. it's a horrible direction for your music to take. strive to capture you at your best... everything else can be accomplished with a good collab, or at least... later.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:11 am

Try these tutorials Produce Like a Pro https://www.youtube.com/user/WarrenHuartRecording.

Audio legends & Slate Digital have tutorials from Chris Lord Alge but they are not free. http://www.audiolegends.com/

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks everyone, what kind of music do y'all make?
And here is my soundcloud so you can see where I am at, me the newbie, baby. https://soundcloud.com/dustbunnyxoxo I am quitting my job because I am exhausted as a nanny. Maybe I can find something where I am not tired, because to me writing music is exercise. I ride my bike everywhere too and have no car so the balance is coming. It's a good mic I have, an apex that was $400 used. I also have a new iMac so there's no big fan in the room other than the amp which is really good for the sound system, we have lots of speakers, I can test in many ways, iPad, phone, beatspill, little speakers big speakers, 3 ways, 2 ways, etc. I know someone who can master tracks here in town that is my friend and I will use him as well as anyone who wants to give it a shot. I'm totally into collaborating, even online. I'm not possessive of my music that way, I write lots of music and feel it all the time and practice singing and lay stuff out in Ableton a lot. I just get frustrated with the muddiness and have so much to learn. It's not the talent that I lack, it is discipline and focus. Maybe I should get some dexedrine. Hahaha. No, but all of this has been helpful and I am looking forward to the weekend. I do use tutorials a lot. I think keeping it simple is good, like the album Abbey Road by the Beatles. A Wonderful mix and really amazing on any day really. Simple is great. A song doesn't need every single skill and technique invested into it. I've learned that now, and thanks for the support! I think you answered my question well, all of you. I feel at home again! Now for those tutorials and tips, back to Ableton:)

PS Words I'm learning today about: Return track, Limiter, clipping (even though I know what it is I don't, it's a me thing, I make other things up that don't exist and I can't accept the way it is lol)

Goal: to tweak my vocals and make my compositions crystal clear with sparkles

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:34 pm

naomifix wrote:Goal: to tweak my vocals and make my compositions crystal clear with sparkles
keep striving, you will.
naomifix wrote:Thanks everyone, what kind of music do y'all make?
hybrid frankenmusic here. i do "raps" (hate the negative connotations of that word) and play a little bass. i first got really into Live when Drumracks were released in version 7 (although my first copy was v 4 intro) and i was struggling with re-wiring Fruity Loops into Cubase for all our drum parts. i wanted something a little more... i dunno, professional-ish. i like to mix it up with almost anything instruments wise that someone walks into the studio with... bongos, harmonica, guitar, sax... it never mattered as long as we could get a drum track we all liked going. i'm talking past tense though because, along with reasons i posted above, i'm a full time single dad now and my days can be exhausting before i can finally sit down in front of the DAW again - if i have any energy left.

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:55 pm

H20nly wrote:
naomifix wrote:Goal: to tweak my vocals and make my compositions crystal clear with sparkles
keep striving, you will.
naomifix wrote:Thanks everyone, what kind of music do y'all make?
hybrid frankenmusic here. i do "raps" (hate the negative connotations of that word) and play a little bass. i first got really into Live when Drumracks were released in version 7 (although my first copy was v 4 intro) and i was struggling with re-wiring Fruity Loops into Cubase for all our drum parts. i wanted something a little more... i dunno, professional-ish. i like to mix it up with almost anything instruments wise that someone walks into the studio with... bongos, harmonica, guitar, sax... it never mattered as long as we could get a drum track we all liked going. i'm talking past tense though because, along with reasons i posted above, i'm a full time single dad now and my days can be exhausting before i can finally sit down in front of the DAW again - if i have any energy left.
that's how i am feeling, the weekend was full of friends and love and my kids were away with awesome family, it's good to have support. but no one really quite understands how difficult it is to make time for music because it's takes a lot of time. i'm not saying other hobbies don't, but if music is your life...it's emotional and frustrating for me to get focussed and set boundaries. from one parent to another, i'm not single, but i can't work and do music, that's the reality.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 am

which producer is not dreaming of a singing ableton-nerd-nurse :D

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 am

It's OK not willing to master your music and leave it to others, as it'll leave you with more time with what you consider important.
Even though mastering tools are available to everybody these days, it's fine if you don't want to do it, as it's definitely a skillset of its own.
Still, try and get your mix as good as you can by comparing your songs to some good reference tracks (always level-match them with yours).

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:17 am

I quit! I'm working casual now (I'm a nanny not a nurse haha, though I've taken care of enough babies and even helped deliver a couple so that probably counts)
I can't believe I did it
There's no way with my imagination I'd handle working and doing music, I'm too distracted and in la la land all the time haha
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!
<3