Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Why does Ableton keep adding new features that no one wants?

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Live 10 is amazing, there, I said it.
Rewired into Reaper, Push 2 is still available, including the drum step sequencer.
If Ableton ever got Max 4 Live running in Rewire then there would never be a reason not to use this set up.

For reasons I can only guess at Ableton are glacial with improvements that aren’t new cool features. Things like VST 3, the aforementioned named audio outputs etc. take years to implement. I can only guess why that is and I’m well over being angry at developers for not meeting my requirements. Reaper is $60 if you don’t make enough money off of music to write it off in your taxes, everything people have requested is available in Reaper, and other DAWs. Ableton updated their Rewire support which is a wonderful thing.

VST3 support can be had in the mean time with rewire or porting audio. It’s a PITA, but as someone who gave up years ago on the “perfect” DAW I bother to learn and use more than one, it’s not that difficult, and Logic is $200, Sonar is free, Reaper is $60.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Live 10 is amazing, there, I said it.
very nice to read

Angstrom wrote:That mouse gets things done!

Well done mouse.
DoneMau5 - a software engineer sporting a Micky Mouse Club hat that creates editable fields where only labels existed before

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Well 10.1 just came out and, sadly, it seems this topic is still relevant.

Still no vocal comping. Still no show/hide tracks.

But hey, they combined the delay plugins. :roll:

They finally figured out people like to use +/- to zoom about, oh, 15 years after every other program.

It's actually impressive how small and insignificant Ableton updates are. I think they have an annual company competition for who can conjure up the most insignificant update.
Last edited by studiojohnny on Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 30, 2019 8:44 pm

You're right, we do. We'll announce the winner next Tuesday.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Thu May 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:44 pm
You're right, we do. We'll announce the winner next Tuesday.
I knew it. This explains everything. :lol:

On the plus side, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that someone from Ableton actually reads the forum. That's awesome. (Do you actually work in the office with them?) But now I feel bad for making my saucy comments because I honestly didn't think anyone from Ableton would actually see them. I apologize. I thought I was just commiserating will fellow users via a good ol' rant. (This thread has been ignored for about 4 years now.)

While you're here... it really is so annoying to have to switch DAWs completely just to track vocals. I mean, recording vocals is something just so basic and foundational to music creation that it makes all these other, more esoteric updates you guys do seem like slaps in the face, even though they are cool in their own tiny ways.

Any chance we could get some sort of response on vocal comping?

How do you guys pick what to update? (It seems quite random from the outside looking in.)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Yes, a lot of people at Ableton read the forums, as well as the usual social media outlets.

Usually it's just a matter of throwing darts at a dart board full of ideas when it comes time to add new features. The only stipulatation is that whatever we pick has to be ready to release on a Tuesday.
Tarekith

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Usually it's just a matter of throwing darts at a dart board full of ideas when it comes time to add new features. The only stipulatation is that whatever we pick has to be ready to release on a Tuesday.
does the dart board have Angstrom's face on it?

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Fri May 31, 2019 1:17 am

Tarekith wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Yes, a lot of people at Ableton read the forums, as well as the usual social media outlets.

Clearly.

Any comment on vocal comping?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 am

8O
Tarekith

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Fri May 31, 2019 2:22 am

Tarekith wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 am
8O
Informative and helpful. Thanks so much for making the Ableton customers feel heard and validated.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 am

We don't talk about any possible functionality being added to Live until it is officially announced. This is the way it has always been.

Happy?

8O
Tarekith

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 am

Tarekith wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 am
We don't talk about any possible functionality being added to Live until it is officially announced. This is the way it has always been.

Happy?

8O
I'm reading that as "Vocal comping confirmed for 10.2" !
:idea: :twisted:

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:15 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 am

Happy?

8O
No. You're a small company with a small user base and you should interact with your users so you don't appear as aloof and detached as you already do. You should be more like Adobe since they actually acknowledge feature requests since they know a lot of professionals depend on their product to make their living.

Also, your link says you're a mastering engineer in Seattle. So you're clearly not actually sitting in on the high level meetings at the HQ in Germany where these decisions are made so seems to me like you're just some guy parroting the company line.

Regardless, the updates are a bad joke. You, or I should say they, are now releasing keyboard shortcuts as if they're updates. It's laughable. (On that note, howabout just make all the keyboard shortcuts customizable so we can make our own "updates"? lol)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

studiojohnny wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:15 pm

No. You're a small company with a small user base and you should interact with your users so you don't appear as aloof and detached as you already do. You should be more like Adobe since they actually acknowledge feature requests since they know a lot of professionals depend on their product to make their living.
They seem quite big to me, and they interact with their subscribers often. If you want to have a part in shaping the future of the software I'd suggest getting involved at the Centrecode forum where you can add feature requests that can be voted for and tracked.
studiojohnny wrote:

Also, your link says you're a mastering engineer in Seattle. So you're clearly not actually sitting in on the high level meetings at the HQ in Germany where these decisions are made so seems to me like you're just some guy parroting the company line.
The moderators around here have been chosen after they've demonstrated years of helping people on the forums, they are party to far more knowledge than you or I
studiojohnny wrote:

Regardless, the updates are a bad joke. You, or I should say they, are now releasing keyboard shortcuts as if they're updates. It's laughable. (On that note, howabout just make all the keyboard shortcuts customizable so we can make our own "updates"? lol)
That'd be one of those feature requests....

Any change would be an update, not sure why you've picked on Keyboard shortcuts when VST3 support was part of 10.1?

Cheers
D

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 pm

S4racen wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm

They seem quite big to me, and they interact with their subscribers often. If you want to have a part in shaping the future of the software I'd suggest getting involved at the Centrecode forum where you can add feature requests that can be voted for and tracked.

The moderators around here have been chosen after they've demonstrated years of helping people on the forums, they are party to far more knowledge than you or I

That'd be one of those feature requests....

Any change would be an update, not sure why you've picked on Keyboard shortcuts when VST3 support was part of 10.1?

Cheers
D
*sigh* Yeah, I'm sure they don't start any developer meetings without conferencing in all their vital forum moderators. :roll:

I grant that VST3 support is a cool upgrade, albeit yearrrrrs late, but 99% of their other upgrades are a joke. e.g. "We redesigned this stock plugin that already worked fine!"

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

We want vocal comping.

Also, we would very much like vocal comping.