Live drive overload problem on mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ivanos

Live drive overload problem on mac

Post by ivanos » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Hello,
I am having problems with drive overload while using live with midi controllers. The problems are short crackles and drop-outs. I use M-audio Keystation61 and Push2. Problem occurs even with only one plug-in working, usually some basic piano. CPU usage is about 10-20%. My hardware is a mac with El Capitan 10.11.6, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and SSD drive.
At first I thought it could be a problem with my audio interface (M-audio Mtrack II), but when I plug it off it changes nothing, crackles still occurs.
Do you have any ideas?

Pitch Black

Re: Live drive overload problem on mac

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:43 pm

What is your Buffer Size setting in Preferences > Audio?

You really shouldn't be having crackles with that setup, unless your buffer (latency) is set too low. Try increasing the buffer size and see if it helps.

You describe the issue as an HD overload problem - is the Hard Disk Overload indicator (top-right of the screen) actually coming on whenever you get crackles? I'd be surprised if it did with your system and an SSD. The evidence would _seem_ to point to a too-low Buffer setting.

HTH
Last edited by Pitch Black on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

ivanos

Post by ivanos » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:47 pm

My buffer size is now set on 512. I tried changing it, starting from lower values, but it didn't help.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:50 pm

ooh - forum leapfrog!

Have you tried setting the buffer to max 2048 samples, and working down from there?
And, re my edited additional question: is the HD overload light coming on?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Soundcloud

ivanos

Post by ivanos » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:00 pm

Yes, HD overload light is coming on every time I am having crackles. I haven't tried setting the buffer to the max, but the problem occur even when I disconnect the interface and use the built-in output. Could it be a problem with the SSD? I am changing the buffer and I will let you know if it helped. Thank you so far!

ivanos

Post by ivanos » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:03 pm

Still having crackles at buffer size set to 2048 :cry:

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:13 pm

Hmmmmm... weird! There's no other processes/indexing or anything of that sort going on?

Try opening Activity Monitor in Applications > Utilities and select the Disk tab. See if there's anything busily taking up disk access there.

If you suspect the SSD, can you either try A, saving the Live Set and all it's samples as a self-contained Live Set under a different name to an external HD, then try playing the set from the external HD and see if it makes any difference. Or, B, can you boot your Mac from an external system drive (if you have one) and see if that makes any difference?

Does it happen with all Live Sets, or just some?

If you remove the MIDI controllers and play the Live Set form just the mouse/trackpad, does that make any difference?

Are you running all the latest Live versions / latest drivers (if any)?

Sorry for all the questions! Hopefully we should be able to work the problem by process of elimination...

Anyone else got any ideas?
Soundcloud

ivanos

Post by ivanos » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Thank you for your suggestions! I am going to try using other hard drives.
Live is the only software running at the time. I have all the latest drivers and live version. It happens with all sets, even when I open a new set and use only a simple piano plug-in.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:51 am

Having the same problem here, on yosemite.
With only 20% cpu usage at 512 buffer, turn a knob or mod wheel makes live choke.
Didn't have this before, I'm sure...but have no idea where it creeped in.
Another weird thing is that when I disable all incomming ports in setup, it still happens.
I'll keep an eye on this thread, and will report if I find a solution.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:59 pm

PHY6, you reminded me, I had this happen too, a few weeks ago, but just for one period on one day. I can't remember exactly what the environmental conditions were then, and its not happening now. But you just reminded me I have seen this too.

I run very large sets (250 tracks x 250 scenes, no AU instruments, a few AU effects, lots of Samplers). I've run this sized set for 10+ years all good, and I did install a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD about a year ago, and it's been 99.999% fine, except for that one time.

Just speculating here: is there any kind of background process an SSD might do from time to time that could be at issue? Does anyone know? Or any other possible indexing/file management/"housework" being done by the OS?

Its a weird and annoying one, especially as it seems constant for you guys, and just a one-off for me...? If indeed its the same issue, certainly the same symptoms - disk overload indicator and crackles when turning a MIDI knob.

Sorry more of a ramble than actual help... Whats the common factor here? SSD? Something else? Anyone? Bueller?
Soundcloud

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Pitch Black wrote:PHY6, you reminded me, I had this happen too, a few weeks ago, but just for one period on one day. I can't remember exactly what the environmental conditions were then, and its not happening now. But you just reminded me I have seen this too.

I run very large sets (250 tracks x 250 scenes, no AU instruments, a few AU effects, lots of Samplers). I've run this sized set for 10+ years all good, and I did install a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD about a year ago, and it's been 99.999% fine, except for that one time.

Just speculating here: is there any kind of background process an SSD might do from time to time that could be at issue? Does anyone know? Or any other possible indexing/file management/"housework" being done by the OS?

Its a weird and annoying one, especially as it seems constant for you guys, and just a one-off for me...? If indeed its the same issue, certainly the same symptoms - disk overload indicator and crackles when turning a MIDI knob.

Sorry more of a ramble than actual help... Whats the common factor here? SSD? Something else? Anyone? Bueller?
Well, I think I have it sorted...in my case.
I was having a lot of monitor inputs set to 'in', I was trying to build something that let's me record midi input, into numerology, for that I had 16 instances of numerology, all set to 'in'.
I was controlling it with my linnstrument.
I guess it was kind of overkill.
I made a simpler system now, and it's fine at 512 now.

Thanks Pitch Black, like your new tunes ;)

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Think I was shouting too fast.
With cpu above 30% it starts too crackle, not choke.
Rapid movements are not possible.
Is that normal ?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Pitch Black wrote: Just speculating here: is there any kind of background process an SSD might do from time to time that could be at issue? Does anyone know? Or any other possible indexing/file management/"housework" being done by the OS?
there is a whole host of stuff that runs in the background that can increase your chances of dropouts.

most of this page on Mac system prep for show mode when running QLab is relevant when running Live:

https://figure53.com/docs/qlab/v3/gener ... -your-mac/

it's also a good idea to be extra cautious about what third party stuff you install on your performance machine. badly coded stuff can be the source of glitches that are difficult to track down.

a couple of handy troubleshooting steps are to boot your Mac in Safe Mode, and also to try a fresh new user account. the first will help you determine if there is something running in the background that is problematic, the second will tell you if there is something specific to your user account that is wonking out...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

ivanos

Post by ivanos » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:33 am

The problem is solved!
I have a SSD and an HDD in my mac. I've installed the Ableton on the other drive (HDD) and everything worked fine, no crackles and stuff. Next, I decided to switch their places in the mac to check if the problem was with the hard drive or maybe a hard drive cable. Luckily Ableton works well on both drives. I think the hard drive cable was loose.
Thank you very much for you advices and help!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:46 am

ah, what kind of Mac is it?