MacOS Sierra Public Beta - fitst impressions with Live 9.7b

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
silicon1138

MacOS Sierra Public Beta - fitst impressions with Live 9.7b

Post by silicon1138 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:06 pm

For what it's worth, i've installed the latest public beta on my Macbook Air this morning and it all appears to be running just fine from what i can tell. I've not hooked up any audio interfaces yet though so it's headphones only.

Arturia, Waves, NI, U-he all seem just fine.
Carl Finlow aka - Random Factor / Voice Stealer / Silicon Scally / Il.Ek.Tro / Scarletron...
OSX 10.13, Quad Core Mac Mini, Live 10 Suite.

Stromkraft

Re: MacOS Sierra Public Beta - first impressions with Live 9.7b

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:22 am

silicon1138 wrote:For what it's worth, i've installed the latest public beta on my Macbook Air this morning and it all appears to be running just fine from what i can tell. I've not hooked up any audio interfaces yet though so it's headphones only.

Thanks for this report.

What I'm hoping for is that the audio issues that Native Instruments and others seem to have more or less verified (in support communication and what not) since 10.8 are finally addressed. I'm not holding my breath though. Currently I seem unaffected by this myself and I'm not sure it wasn't all hogwash on Native's part either.
Make some music!

hyperscientist

Re: MacOS Sierra Public Beta - fitst impressions with Live 9.7b

Post by hyperscientist » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:54 am

Many thanks for your report! Can you tell about Max For Live? Does it work with many devices? There's info on M4L website that Sierra should not be able to support Legacy Java, so that would prevent some m4l devices from working properly.

God, I wish Max would drop that silly and harmful requirement of having to install Java… :/ They could simply bundle it if it is really that needed!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
silicon1138 wrote:For what it's worth, i've installed the latest public beta on my Macbook Air this morning and it all appears to be running just fine from what i can tell. I've not hooked up any audio interfaces yet though so it's headphones only.

Thanks for this report.

What I'm hoping for is that the audio issues that Native Instruments and others seem to have more or less verified (in support communication and what not) since 10.8 are finally addressed. I'm not holding my breath though. Currently I seem unaffected by this myself and I'm not sure it wasn't all hogwash on Native's part either.

With the same amount of warning as other developers I don’t know why NI seems to never have their hardware ready on public release day for MacOS upgrades. Always get a warning email and maybe months later they send another email saying they should work now. I just upgraded to El Capitan a few weeks ago and I still needed to update my NI hardware drivers/firmware right after upgrading. Why didn’t that already happen in the half dozen or so updates I’ve done over the last year? :?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:52 pm

beats me wrote: With the same amount of warning as other developers I don’t know why NI seems to never have their hardware ready on public release day for MacOS upgrades. Always get a warning email and maybe months later they send another email saying they should work now. I just upgraded to El Capitan a few weeks ago and I still needed to update my NI hardware drivers/firmware right after upgrading. Why didn’t that already happen in the half dozen or so updates I’ve done over the last year? :?
That's a very good question. Unfortunately in my experience one that Native Instruments are likely to duck.

I've picked up the habit of holding off even investigating the possibility of major OS upgrades until January each year, so I'm not that troubled by their slowness.
Make some music!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:28 pm

Unfortunately all my music hardware (sound card, keyboard, Maschine, S4 DJ controller) is NI so they pretty much single-handedly keep me from upgrading early. I can wait but it seems like there are more (albeit gimmicky) features I would use in Sierra than El Capitan.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:23 am

Installed Sierra= Max for Live doesn`t Work + Reaktor 5 doesn`t work either or better said it doesn`t "remember" projects so when you open one where it was used you need to insert and istrument from scratch....

Chrome works better now but who cares.

Peace

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:46 am

spankysimi wrote:Installed Sierra= Max for Live doesn`t Work + Reaktor 5 doesn`t work either or better said it doesn`t "remember" projects so when you open one where it was used you need to insert and istrument from scratch....
You need to install Java for OS X 2015-001 that people say still works in Sierra. Actually Cycling74 either have to support later versions of Java on Max For Live or drop Java dependency right now if it doesn't.

With Reaktor it needs the exact same path to the Ensembles as before. Likely you just need to point it to the correct one. This also happens if you move the project so likely have little to do with the OS update.
Make some music!