Use of Abelton Link???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chuku

Use of Abelton Link???

Post by Chuku » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:26 am

Hello All,
I can't understand the use of Abelton link. I have ipad Air 2 where i have couple of ios apps. When i link my Ipad app to Abelton live, the only thing i can notice is the Tempo being Synchronized.

I was guessing that I could use Ipad Apps as midi controller, use apps to record in Abelton and record beats in IOS apps to record in Abelton. But things are not what i expected and i also don't know whats the use of Link in Abelton.. just to Sync tempo? Whats the use?

Any Benifits of LINK?

Also, how can we use ipad/ iphone apps as midi?

Thanks

Tarekith

Re: Use of Abelton Link???

Post by Tarekith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:38 am

That's the whole point of Link, to sync the tempos and let you change it from one device so all the rest follow seamlessly too.

Sonic Revolutions

Post by Sonic Revolutions » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:35 am

Tarekith wrote:That's the whole point of Link, to sync the tempos and let you change it from one device so all the rest follow seamlessly too.
And it's pretty damn good at it too!

You can use Touchable to control Ableton from your iPad.
Check out Lemur to create your own midi controllers for Ableton.
Use Studiomux or an oldschool audio cable to record stuff from your iPad in Ableton...

Chuku

Post by Chuku » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:49 am

Tarekith wrote:That's the whole point of Link, to sync the tempos and let you change it from one device so all the rest follow seamlessly too.

So whats the benifit??

Don't get it at all.

Chuku

Post by Chuku » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 am

Is there any way that i can connect my ipad to DAW and use apps to record in abelton??

Thanks

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:17 am

macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

login

Post by login » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Chuku wrote:

So whats the benifit??

Don't get it at all.

Syncing is a big deal, requieres cables and it is very easy for devices to get out of sync through MIDI.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Midi and osc through iPad into daws has been around for quite a while.

Depending on the apps you choose to use and the OS of your computer and the tools you decide to use you can have mixed levels of complexity. Some setups are very easy to set up. A lot of apps let you do midi over the network as long as your computer is set up to receive midi over the network.

The benefit of Link is that before Link nothing so stable had existed. It is like the difference between digging a small canal in your lawn to transport water, to using a garden hose.

Link is extremely stable. You might take this for granted because you are trying it out during its existence. But before Link, you would either have to rely on finicky and unpredictable midi, or matching tempo by ear. Neither of those works too great when you start changing tempo (which Link handles with the greatest of ease).

Link is great for device to computer, device to device, computer to computer sync. And one of my favorites is app to app sync within a single portable device. Without it, sequences, synced LFO and delays, arpeggios would all drift over time and be a big mess. It is nice to be able to turn on Link and know you'll be safe during your jam.