Pops and clicks after uploading to soundcloud

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dafeda

Pops and clicks after uploading to soundcloud

Post by dafeda » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi,
just tried uploading a track to soundcloud and noticed some pops and clicks which I can't here when I play the file from my hard drive.
I uploaded a 24bit wav file like I normally do.
Anyone know what may cause this?

Here's a link to the file:
https://soundcloud.com/notourdates/no-tour-dates-leave

The first click happens right after where I have commented.
Thanks.

Womble Dung

Re: Pops and clicks after uploading to soundcloud

Post by Womble Dung » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm

i assume none of your channel levels (1audio/2audio etc) were not up in the red on master channel?

outwith "clipping" (levels too high or too powerful) then perhaps it may be something in between when the project is saved as a wav file, and uploading. perhaps you converted it to, for eg, mp3 on an inferior converter?

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 pm

There is no clipping. The quiet section of the song is nowhere near hitting the limiter. There's only a tad of compression going on.
As a test I converted the track to 128kpbs mp3 and although it sounds bad I can't hear pops and clicks..
Don't understand this at all...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:23 pm

Unfortunately soundclouds conversion really isn't that good and sometimes random things like this happen. I had this happen to a client of mine once, nothing we did fixed it and it only ever happened in Soundcloud. Best advice I can give is to try uploading different formats, 16bit, 320kbps MP3, etc and see if one of those will work.

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:08 pm

I've had this happen a couple of times. Its down to the converter software they use for the streaming. My solution was to delete said track and reupload. If you have a pro/pro unlimited account you can simply replace the file.

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:30 pm

I've now tried uploading a 16bit wav and a 320kpbs mp3 but the clicks and pops are still there.
There are no such things when I play these files on my computer.
This is really strange! Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Stop using Soundcloud and host them on your own site?

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:Stop using Soundcloud and host them on your own site?
Ok, thanks.

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Try uploading to somewhere like Bandcamp and see if it occurs there. Upload to youtube and vimeo perhaps (you can just plonk a image in there, thats what I do for the video sites)?

Another solution is to remaster the file but with a 0.2-0.5 db buffer (eg reduce the volume by that amount).

Have you had another person listen to the stream? Could it be your internet connection corrupting very slightly on playback? If so they may not hear such problems on another internet connection

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:17 pm

downfader wrote:Try uploading to somewhere like Bandcamp and see if it occurs there. Upload to youtube and vimeo perhaps (you can just plonk a image in there, thats what I do for the video sites)?

Another solution is to remaster the file but with a 0.2-0.5 db buffer (eg reduce the volume by that amount).

Have you had another person listen to the stream? Could it be your internet connection corrupting very slightly on playback? If so they may not hear such problems on another internet connection
Hi, I've tried listening on other internet connections with the same result.
Have uploaded to different things now using distorted, so will check in a few days.
I'll try reducing the volume as well.
Thank you!

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:49 pm

dafeda wrote:
downfader wrote:Try uploading to somewhere like Bandcamp and see if it occurs there. Upload to youtube and vimeo perhaps (you can just plonk a image in there, thats what I do for the video sites)?

Hi, I've tried listening on other internet connections with the same result.
Have uploaded to different things now using distorted, so will check in a few days.
I'll try reducing the volume as well.
Thank you!
I hope you find a solution :)
Been there and also found it to be hit and miss as to a solution. Hopefully something will work out