Macbook Keyboard sometimes Dead in Ableton with El Capitan

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

Macbook Keyboard sometimes Dead in Ableton with El Capitan

Post by spanktron » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 am

Hello.

I sometimes have an issue with my Macbook. I am in Ableton and suddenly the keyboard doesn`t respond.
The trackpad does. I need to restart Ableton and then all is good. It happens not that frequently but can be annoying as hell.

I can`t remember having this issue with Mountain Lion

Stromkraft

Re: Macbook Keyboard sometimes Dead in Ableton with El Capitan

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 pm

spankysimi wrote:Hello.

I sometimes have an issue with my Macbook. I am in Ableton and suddenly the keyboard doesn`t respond.
The trackpad does. I need to restart Ableton and then all is good. It happens not that frequently but can be annoying as hell.

I can`t remember having this issue with Mountain Lion
This is unlikely to be a OS-version specific problem. This never happens on 2 MacBook Pros for me. What do you mean "doesn't respond"?
If you mean Live doesn't take commands it could be a number of things.

Wait a minute. Does Live respond to an external controller, like Push? What version of Live specifically?
Make some music!

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:54 am

Well what can i say. It does not respond as in no button on the Macbook is working. Example 1) i want to double the length of a clip command. Not working. 2) Right click -not working etc etc. But the external trackpad works via Bluetooth. It`s like the Keyboard is being ignored. version is 9.6.2 or whatever the latest one is is what i have. El capitan. Macbook pro 2.3ghz i7 2011

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 am

spankysimi wrote:Well what can i say. It does not respond as in no button on the Macbook is working.
I've never encountered this. What I have encountered is the GUI not responding, but Live responding to external commands like from the Push. Unfortunately I never bothered to try the keyboard as I was so perplexed the GUI was dead, so can't say whether this worked or not. This problem was likely caused by a partial crash in the graphics process but I and support never found the actual cause. This happened for all Live 9 versions more or less exactly once. You can see it described in more detail here in discussion Unresponsive GUI once in a while? Sounds familiar?. It would seem not many had the same issue as I got no responses indicating this.

In you case it's not likely to be the same as this issue as your GUI seems to be working. It could possibly be related however. What have support said?

Do you have any external controllers? Maybe inactivate them to see if this affects operation.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Are you using the builtin keyboard on the MacBook, or an external (bluetooth or USB) keyboard?

I sometimes have problems using an external bluetooth keyboard on my late-2013 MBP if I also have WiFi turned on, but it's not specific to Ableton.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:44 pm

Next time it happens try pressing alt 5 times, or holding it until you hear a little "descending" sound.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:07 am

[jur] wrote:Next time it happens try pressing alt 5 times, or holding it until you hear a little "descending" sound.
Sticky keys? Here's an article "Complete guide to System Preferences in Mac OS X" (Macworld UK). Look about halfway down under the image where you see this:Image
Make some music!

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 am

AHa. Thats sound very interesting. Will try these tricks next time it happens.

Thank you!

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:11 pm

I tried the "press 5 times" method.

I can`t 100% what i pressed though to be honest. Was it the Shift key or the Alt key?

In any case it works. Just has to be the right key you press 5 times... :-)