Native Instruments just ripped off Push big-time, ha!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
puzzlefactory

Re: Native Instruments just ripped off Push big-time, ha!

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:18 am

Maschine is going to become a lot like Live. NI say over on their forums that they are updating the sequencer by adding a "song layer". By all accounts it will be very similar to session mode, where you can hit record and play in your arrangement from the patterns (clips) and scenes.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 am

mholloway wrote: I mean, in some ways Maschine is fast and fun; I do like the software version 2 (I -hated- the software version 1).

but it's also so weirdly dated in so many ways, very non-intuitive / difficult to do serious arrangement with.
Exactly how I feel too. I couldn't have expressed this better. My encounters with version 2 have been sparse though and mostly about routings.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:54 am

I only use it for making patterns, and only with the controller. I really don't like using Maschine via the laptop, it's just clunky and slow to do a lot of things. From the Studio hardware, feels way more natural to me too.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Sigh. Seems like a tremendous amount of overlap if you are a Live user and development time being taken away from better Maschine integration in DAWs. But better integration doesn’t make money, new hardware does.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:55 pm

beats me wrote:Sigh. Seems like a tremendous amount of overlap if you are a Live user and development time being taken away from better Maschine integration in DAWs. But better integration doesn’t make money, new hardware does.

Maschine's longtime core users want serious updates and expansions to the functionality of Maschine itself; instead NI gives them another hardware controller.

Live's longtime core users want serious updates and expansions to the functionality of Live itself; instead Ableton gives them more updates to the Push controller.

world keeps spinnin', etc etc etc.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:05 pm

I think updates in 'performance options' are more popular because they are more immediately recognizable as exciting in promo vids of performances :mrgreen: this excited fresh users and makes the money in their pocket or bank accounts tingle.

It also works nicely because jamming is a unique strength of both products. The tedious production part is common amongst most DAWs.

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:39 pm

my gawd nother HUUUGE wast of $$ for suckas. :roll:

cfr

Post by cfr » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:19 pm

I used maschine 1 and then 2 for years before push came out. it was a revolution for computer and hardware integration as far as samplers and groove boxes go. it didnt even have vst support in the beginning and I was still really into it, but at this point this is too little too late. This thing is such an obvious throw out to try and stay competitive. I mean the fucking thing is called JAM. who the fuck jams anymore. "hey guys lets get together and JAM after work". right. they are really in touch with their demographic. what if instead they took some of their best soft synths and made dedicated hardware controllers. Shit they could make a new standard in vst layout and have a few hardware pieces to dedicate to controlling vsts. sure i'd have a hard time not buying those. oh well. how about real time timestretching haha

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:31 pm

cfr wrote: what if instead they took some of their best soft synths and made dedicated hardware controllers. Shit they could make a new standard in vst layout and have a few hardware pieces to dedicate to controlling vsts.
Yes! Instant sale with me.
Make some music!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:I only use it for making patterns, and only with the controller. I really don't like using Maschine via the laptop, it's just clunky and slow to do a lot of things. From the Studio hardware, feels way more natural to me too.

Yup. Great way of gathering sounds and patterns. That's about it. That's what I do with my MPCs. Get my pattern done and bounce to live. Some people want this killer one and done setup but everything is done in steps. We don't just spit out music. Well we shouldn't just spit out music.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
cfr wrote: what if instead they took some of their best soft synths and made dedicated hardware controllers. Shit they could make a new standard in vst layout and have a few hardware pieces to dedicate to controlling vsts.

That’s what they are attempting with Komplete Kontrol but you are limited to the 8 knobs with pages standard. If that’s as deep as they want to go then they should at least sell a box that is just that instead of expecting you to use that section of a big and expensive keyboard or drum pad controller you may not need. I’m actually surprised they haven’t done that yet considering they seem to love manufacturing these little Traktor add-on hardware boxes.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:00 am

beats me wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

That’s what they are attempting with Komplete Kontrol but you are limited to the 8 knobs with pages standard. If that’s as deep as they want to go then they should at least sell a box that is just that instead of expecting you to use that section of a big and expensive keyboard or drum pad controller you may not need. I’m actually surprised they haven’t done that yet considering they seem to love manufacturing these little Traktor add-on hardware boxes.
That's a little shallow yes. As a Push user you just go "That's what I already have even though I need to map until I'm blue. Give me something more!". At least that's how I felt even though I'm still contemplating one of those keyboards. Too bad they don't come with more space.
Make some music!

circuitslave

Post by circuitslave » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:51 pm

I want more hardware from Ableton for the arrangement side---something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5_zTJBilE