Endless rotary encoders behavior / controller choices?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
akm

Endless rotary encoders behavior / controller choices?

Post by akm » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:45 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about maybe getting some new controller toy, maybe Push 2, or APC40 MK2 (more likely) or something else with encoders. I owned an M-Audio Axiom keyboard (1-st generation) long ago and the encoders was the biggest disappointment - I did not appreciate their stepped behavior, an it was too much movement to go from 0 to 127. There was some alternative behavior settings which did not work for me (like acceleration).

Recently I tried my friends's Akai MPK249 keyboard encoders - and seems that they are just perfect for me, smooth, close to the standard knobs movement.

When I see Push 2 demos on YouTube I notice that people often do several twists with the encoders to set the desired parameters. With APC40 MK2 it looks like "normal" knobs.

What is your, guys, experience with the encoders?

Joe Bailar

Re: Endless rotary encoders behavior / controller choices?

Post by Joe Bailar » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:54 pm

I use both the Push 2 and Akai APC MKII. I love the Akai for it's led feedback around the knobs. Especially for live it's more intuitive, but you have to remember the assignment. That's not the case with the Push. In the end I use the Push more for studio work. It is an awesome addition for ableton in many ways.
https://soundcloud.com/joebailar

Ableton Live 9 Suite / Push 2 / Akai APC MKII / Nord Electro 2 / Steinberg Halion / ImpOscar / Spectrasonics Trilian / OBxD / Yamaha Trumpet / MacBookPro

akm

Post by akm » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Could you please confirm that you can do a full turn (0-127) using Push 2 knobs in one movement without several twists?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I believe push knobs react to your rate of turning. If you turn the knob slowly, it'll have more precision. If you turn it fast, the control will zip through the parameter. This is especially convenient for cases where you 'see' the measure you are controlling.

A controller that I own along with an APC and Push is the Novation Remote sl mkii. This also has a display and endless rotaries. I don't know which controller is most preferable. I haven't really put them through any rough tests.

akm

Post by akm » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:44 am

Thank you. I see. That acceleration type of behavior seems cool for the studio work especially for some precise settings/movements. But seems that the one I would like to have the most is the one that is closest to a "normal" knob.