Touchscreen monitors experience?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
akm

Touchscreen monitors experience?

Post by akm » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi,

So, what is going on in this area nowadays, anyone use a touchscreen computer monitor regularly in their audio production daily basis? I'm not talking about assisting devices (tablets, mobile computers, etc.) So far I don't see touchscreen monitors being popular in the studios, I (almost) always see keyboard and mouse plus a couple of regular monitors. Any progress here, your thoughts?

yur2die4

Re: Touchscreen monitors experience?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:15 pm

The touch screen is better at controlling things rather than doing automations and editing clips. (It can be okay for drawing midi notes)

But most software isn't really designed for touch screen, so even if touch is alright for control, you can't really do much that is satisfying wheb attempting to control parameters/trigger clips.

akm

Post by akm » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Yeah, you are more or less confirming what was my impression also. Was really hoping for something opposite. Strange, why it is so? ...BTW I just got my first smartphone, was stayed away from it for years, did not have any need in it actually, so they forced it by presenting one to me - I was extremely impressed by how beautifully things optimized there, screen control is silky smooth, everything works fast, customize-able, etc. So I start wondering, why, as you mentioned, the studio production software don't take the advantages of the touchscreen technologies that much?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Bitwig has kind of begun making headway in that field.

Otherwise, some apps can control Live and other daws from afar, or simply act as midi controllers. Again, these are generally performance things.

When drawing notes in various software, or editing, the precision of a mouse pointer can't beat a fat fingertip. Still... there are also pens. So there's that.

You can do a few basic things in Live using touch of you set it to absolute mouse mode.

What kind of smartphone do you have? iPhones have some uniquely smooth and robust music capabilities. But most apps are kind of for individual purposes. You can connect midi controllers to them etc.

akm

Post by akm » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:27 pm

yur2die4 wrote:What kind of smartphone do you have? iPhones have some uniquely smooth and robust music capabilities. But most apps are kind of for individual purposes. You can connect midi controllers to them etc.
Just a modest LG - something - Leon, so even it impressed me a lot. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I saw the smartphone for the first time, but it is different when you play a couple of days with your own one.

cfr

Post by cfr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:45 am

I got an acer t232hl about a year ago and am very happy with the monitor but less so with Live. It never did integrate as much as I thought it might but I will on occasion reach out and control vsts, which surprisingly tend to work perfectly with touch. Mostly large reaktor patches are nice with touch rather than finding the knob via push in one of the banks or by assigning a macro, but I do prefer knobs at the end of the day if I'm going to automate something. The xy pad works on the live device interface but generally live is too small, cluttered and not programmed to work well with touch so it is basically unusable. There are some things that I don't see push implementing like loading samples into max devices or vsts so to have a more touch friendly browser for dragging around files and opening closing devices would be a nice compliment

akm

Post by akm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:29 am

I see. Do you think it is good idea to get a touchscreen monitor as (instead) a MIDI controller, to complement a standard setup? As far as I know there should be some customize able software, Lemur kind of something for it.

cfr

Post by cfr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm

check out http://yeco.io/ this might be a good way to go. a big monitor is nice for this kind of thing. I think it depends on what your doing, I prefer push for velocity sensitive pads and physical knobs, but if your performing a lot from within complex reaktor patches or max devices a custom touch controller might be great. I think all in all, If you need a monitor anyway, then why not a touchscreen, but for some reason it doesnt feel as expressive and isnt a great replacement over hardware. I cant really recommend push 2 enough it has made ableton really accessible for me

akm

Post by akm » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. I clearly understand what you mean. I was interested and really hope for some more people reporting their incredible experience with a touchscreens but it seems not to be the case.