YAMAHA DTX Multi 12 with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BroHoNy

YAMAHA DTX Multi 12 with Ableton

Post by BroHoNy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a Yamaha DTX Multi 12 and would like to work with it in Ableton. I've already found the way to use it as an external midi controler for my drumracks in Ableton but the drums are not as good as the one you have in the DTX (which is normal as it is made for that).

So 2 questions :
- As an audio track, I assume it is possible to have the sounds from the DTX coming out from Ableton right ? Does somebody knows how to do it ? Is this person able to drive me through it with detailed steps as I'm not a native english speaker ?
- As a MIDI track : is it possible to get the sounds from the DTX library working as MIDI clips (so I can Quantitize pad by pad and all) ? If yes, does somebody knows how to do it ? Is this person able to drive me through it with detailed steps as I'm not a native english speaker ?

fyi, I'm using a mac with ableton live 9

Thx a lot in advance,

Regards,

Rony

Yates913

Re: YAMAHA DTX Multi 12 with Ableton

Post by Yates913 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Getting ready to buy the DXT and give it a try, I'm not a fan of stock drum sounds, creating my own with my modular and sampling into ableton is what I am doing. Did you have to import a config for the DXT into Ableton? Does it also work with launching sequences? Assuming it will?

theophilus

Re: YAMAHA DTX Multi 12 with Ableton

Post by theophilus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:07 pm

do you have suite? if so, give it a try with some of the session drums... i don't know if you'll like them more than the multi, but given that the multi12 only has 100 MB onboard, and the hi-hat alone is more than that in Session Drums (the average per kit is ~1GB), you may find them usable.

if not... you could also look for drummic'a, a sennheiser demo, which is free, but a full drum kit..
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/07 ... ennheiser/

as far as how to get the audio into ableton: the dtk-multi should be available as a midi out. so you'll need to hook the audio output of DTK-multi into an audio input on your interface. Then, midi sounds played from Live should be received by the DTK-multi, and you should hear the audio back on the channel you plugged into.