Dante Virtual Soundcard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mattatooi

Dante Virtual Soundcard

Post by Mattatooi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi,

Currently working with a band that runs tracks and other things through Abelton Live. Current setup is using an external souncard off laptop. We are expanding and splitting the main stereo track into 8 stems or so. Rather than buy an expensive sound card we have an iLive iDR-48 stagebox with a dante card. Our plan is to run dante virtual soundcard out of laptop to this and then use XLR outputs there into split etc.

However we would still like to use the Firewire soundcard at laptop to run a few other things. Artist runs his Bass through this with FX and a few other things. Keeping this local to him is handy as there is various things going on to get a clean Bass line and a POST FX line and a link out of DIs into Bass amp on stage.

So really my question is, is it possible to run Dante Virtual soundcard and an external sound card at the same time in Abelton Live?

Thanks

Stromkraft

Re: Dante Virtual Soundcard

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:10 pm

Mattatooi wrote:
So really my question is, is it possible to run Dante Virtual soundcard and an external sound card at the same time in Abelton Live?
Only if the DVS can get the word clock from this audio interface. You better ask Audinate. Likely you need one of their cards.

See discussion Audio Over Ethernet.
Make some music!

Mattatooi

Post by Mattatooi » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:37 am

The iDR-48 has a Dante card installed. M-Dante - http://www.allen-heath.com/media/ap8340_4-M-DANTE.pdf The Master clock would be the iDR-48.

Its a matter of can you use multiple sound cards on Abelton ?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:57 pm

it depends on your operating system and drivers. on OS X you can create an aggregate device to cobble together multiple interfaces.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 am

The Audinate site has an exceptionally thorough FAQ section:

https://www.audinate.com/resources/faqs

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 pm

You don't say if you have a Mac or a PC, but with a Mac I already made an aggregate device using Dante Virtual Soundcard and the 2 outputs of the Mac (Headphone jack) and it worked perfectly. You should be able to do it with your firewire soundcard
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 pm

It would seem Dante Via has added more channels since I talked to Audinate support.

According to their latest offering, a combo pack of Via and Virtual Soundcard:
"Dante Via supports up to 16x16 channels of audio for each application and up to 32x32 for each connected device."
Audinate's new Dante Software Combo Pack delivers two licenses for only $59.95

If I'm reading this right Via could have at least 16 virtual outputs* from Live and send these separately over the network to a machine with the Virtual Soundcard. This sounds irresistible to me. What do you think?

*I think 16 x 16 means here that one track can go to any number of 16 destinations.
Make some music!

Paul G Griffiths

Post by Paul G Griffiths » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:11 pm

ASIO4ALL on windows allows multiple soundcards.
Griffiths Engines: http://griffithsengines.com - ArcturusDrive©