No External Instrument device listed in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Muzakmaker

No External Instrument device listed in Live

Post by Muzakmaker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:02 am

Have Push2, came with Ableton live Lite. But can't find the External Instrument Device anywhere to link to an external MIDI synth.
Windows 10, latest insider edition. 64 bit. Installed the Latest Beta as well, and also there this device isn't listed. Any idea ?

chrk

Re: No External Instrument device listed in Live

Post by chrk » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:43 am

Not available, because Live 9 Lite | Ableton (scroll to software instruments)

And read the note in the manual about the 24.4 External Instrument.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:58 am

Muzakmaker wrote:Have Push2, came with Ableton live Lite. But can't find the External Instrument Device anywhere to link to an external MIDI synth.
Windows 10, latest insider edition. 64 bit. Installed the Latest Beta as well, and also there this device isn't listed. Any idea ?
You can instead use 2 tracks in Live lite, one with the MIDI going out and one receiving the audio. Or just use an external mixer for playback until you need to record audio.
Make some music!

Muzakmaker

Post by Muzakmaker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:25 pm

You can instead use 2 tracks in Live lite, one with the MIDI going out and one receiving the audio. Or just use an external mixer for playback until you need to record audio.
For example, I found a 64 bit plugin with Midi Out called hypercyclic and added into track 1. Then Track 2 has this selected as it's MIDI input. Track 2 has a VST called MidiMonitor (Piz Midi) to view Midi data. No Midi can be seen there. When I select the output in Track 2 to a MIDI device or LoopMidi, no data is received there either. It seems the MIDI input from another track does not work at all (From a Hardware device or keyboard does work). When I do the exact same thing in Bitwig on a track with the same VST's, MIDI note data can be seen.

Not available, because Live 9 Lite | Ableton (scroll to software instruments)
P.S Which version of Live supports the external MIDI device? It was not listed in the version comparison on the Ableton website.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Muzakmaker wrote:P.S Which version of Live supports the external MIDI device? It was not listed in the version comparison on the Ableton website.
Software Instruments
Just below Tension, ticked for Standard and Suite.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:17 am

Muzakmaker wrote:[

For example, I found a 64 bit plugin with Midi Out called hypercyclic and added into track 1. Then Track 2 has this selected as it's MIDI input. Track 2 has a VST called MidiMonitor (Piz Midi) to view Midi data.
This doesn't at all sound like what you described you wanted to do (not what I thought anyway). If this is about multi-timbral plug-ins you better use a rack if that's available in your version or you need to get Live Standard.

What I thought you meant was for using with a hardware instrument. With that, certainly if you're without External Instrument, you set the MIDI of the track to your MIDI interface, and the input and output of that so the MIDI track can send MIDI data to the instrument and can record MIDI from it as well. The audio track I suggested takes its input signal from your audio interface inputs. That's some set up to do, but it's not rocket science even for a new user.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Muzakmaker

Post by Muzakmaker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 am

chrk wrote:
Muzakmaker wrote:P.S Which version of Live supports the external MIDI device? It was not listed in the version comparison on the Ableton website.
Software Instruments
Just below Tension, ticked for Standard and Suite.
Thanks! Somehow missed that.

Muzakmaker

Post by Muzakmaker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:56 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Muzakmaker wrote:[

For example, I found a 64 bit plugin with Midi Out called hypercyclic and added into track 1. Then Track 2 has this selected as it's MIDI input. Track 2 has a VST called MidiMonitor (Piz Midi) to view Midi data.
This doesn't at all sound like what you described you wanted to do (not what I thought anyway). If this is about multi-timbral plug-ins you better use a rack if that's available in your version or you need to get Live Standard.

What I thought you meant was for using with a hardware instrument. With that you set the MIDI of the track to your MIDI interface, and the input and output of that so the MIDI track can send MIDI data to the instrument and can record MIDI from it as well. The audio track I suggested takes it inputs from your audio interface input. That's some set up to do, but it's not rocket science even for a new user.
Thanks a lot. That track solution is working all-right.
Agree the issue is getting a bit off topic. Sorry for that.
Will create another one for that problem. Actually assumed that the Live Beta program/version would give me access to the enhanced features like the hardware device, unfortunately not.