Workflows and Tools for Better Drums Using BFD 3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sladecutter

Workflows and Tools for Better Drums Using BFD 3

Post by sladecutter » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Back in the day, I used a nifty little plugin called SliceyDrummer (by MusicLab) to create/audition/edit preset MIDI drum patterns in SONAR 2. It was dead simple to use and very efficient for getting decent patterns and fills recorded. It basically allowed you to scroll through a large number of preset patterns for each voice (hi-hat, kick, snare, etc.) in real time. You could easily mix-and-match and edit these presets as well. If I remember correctly, there was also a companion plugin called Fill-In Drummer that had the same functionality for fills.

Earlier this year, I got back into home audio recording with Live 9, but I have been struggling mightily to find a workflow and/or tool that gives me the efficiency of SliceyDrummer or Fill-In Drummer. I'm using BFD 3 to generate drum patterns and fills, and it has fantastic audio quality, but the BFD 3 'Groove Editor' interface is super painful. What I would love to do is simply use SliceyDrummer to trigger the killer drum sounds from BFD 3. But alas, SliceyDrummer is no more (this was roughly 15 years ago). My goal is to create realistic 'live-sounding' drum patterns/fills quickly and easily, the way I used to do with SliceyDrummer. A key feature of SliceyDrummer (for me) was the ability to audition patterns and fills in real time to quickly narrow down a workable feel.

The closest thing I have seen to meeting these requirements is Liquid Rhythm. Has anyone used LR with BFD3? Anyone have any other thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Fyack00

Re: Workflows and Tools for Better Drums Using BFD 3

Post by Fyack00 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:05 am

Hey internet,

I know this is a zombie post from 2016, but I sure as heckfire miss sliceydrummer & fillin drummer! Great workflow.

Logic Pro X drums comes close but still kind of random process.

Is there any other successor to sliceydrummer out there?