Sierra issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hipdeejay

Sierra issues

Post by hipdeejay » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:14 am

So I made the foolish mistake of updating to Sierra because I heard everything was working ok for the most part.
And yes for the most part everything works good, my projects open and all my plugins seam to still work (haven't tested everything yet)

But when I open a project I was working on I soon realize that none of the presets or settings for ANY of my 3rd party plugins (AU + VST)
are remembered! This is a huge issue for me obviously. I have no way of remembering which settings/presets I used for each individual
plugin. Basically all my 3rd party plugins load with default settings in my projects.

Right now I'm not sure if it's just AU or AU and VST but I'm assuming both. All my presets/settings on stock ableton plugins are remembered of course.

Anyone have this issue? I hope there's a way to fix this...
Really regretting this now. I never heard anyone report an issue like this or I would of waited.

I just wanted to upgrade to El Capitan but I couldn't anymore and now this ughhhhh

Stromkraft

Re: Sierra issues

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:46 am

hipdeejay wrote:So I made the foolish mistake of updating to Sierra because I heard everything was working ok for the most part.
And yes for the most part everything works good, my projects open and all my plugins seam to still work (haven't tested everything yet)

But when I open a project I was working on I soon realize that none of the presets or settings for ANY of my 3rd party plugins (AU + VST)
are remembered! This is a huge issue for me obviously. I have no way of remembering which settings/presets I used for each individual
plugin. Basically all my 3rd party plugins load with default settings in my projects.

Right now I'm not sure if it's just AU or AU and VST but I'm assuming both. All my presets/settings on stock ableton plugins are remembered of course.

Anyone have this issue? I hope there's a way to fix this...
Really regretting this now. I never heard anyone report an issue like this or I would of waited.

I just wanted to upgrade to El Capitan but I couldn't anymore and now this ughhhhh
Normally a project would open with plug-in presets as they were on any computer anywhere when you open a set. Make sure you keep previous versions of your set. There are some caveats with some plug-ins that need to have an exact path to its folders or they might overwrite a setting with defaults under some circumstances. Chances are still that you can get back most of your saved settings of your sets, but it would rely on you keep the sets intact as they were before the update. Make a copy before you make changes.

You sound like you have no actual knowledge where your plug-ins stored this in your old OS. Which was what? 10.10 Yosemite? Did you do a clean install or just an update? What did you do with your old files? Do you have a backup of the old OS?

What plug-ins are in use?

It pays off to take notice of where plug-ins like to store its user presets or as I have done; make your own file/folder structure for presets, which means I have one place for all my presets.

Because of bad experiences i've had I always store presets in 3 levels:
  • As a user preset of the plug-in/device stored to disk
  • As an Ableton rack preset stored to disk in my user library
  • With the set as saved
If the set is mangled I have the other 2 presets to rely upon in order to restore.

The preset system with plug-ins and Ableton Live can sometimes be hard to have a full grasp of and that may result in unexpected outcomes. Overwriting presets and not having a backup is possible and a pain. That's one reason why I run a full backup of presets 3 times a day and every hour for my Ableton Live project folders.

Here's a quote from Chrk in another thread with links to some articles on presets that might be useful to get you started on finding yours:
chrk wrote:Here's two Knowledge Base articles that should help you:
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:34 am

I fixed it

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:28 am

How?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

samsteeno

Post by samsteeno » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:52 pm

yeeee how?
The Finn wrote:Believe you me, after the coming apocalypse, when we are all reduced to huddling around little fires in the smoking ruins, your Ableton Push is not going to make any sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/sam-steensen