Is it possible to run non-armed tracks at higher latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joefrost01

Is it possible to run non-armed tracks at higher latency

Post by joefrost01 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:43 pm

You know how Logic will play all the non-armed tracks at higher latency to allow the CPU to compute further ahead and reduce the load on the processor (I think Reaper does the same thing too and now Pro-Tools as of the last release).

Live doesn't do this to the best of my knowledge but I was wondering what would happen if we put a plugin on an empty channel that reported a really high latency e.g. http://www.voxengo.com/product/latencydelay/ and set it to a really high sample value and then enabled "Reduce Latency for Monitoring".

I'll try it when I get a chance and I'm guessing that Live won't do anything to take advantage of the additional time available to calculate stuff like Diva or whatever but it would be really nice if it worked....

Stromkraft

Re: Is it possible to run non-armed tracks at higher latency

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:33 pm

joefrost01 wrote:You know how Logic will play all the non-armed tracks at higher latency to allow the CPU to compute further ahead and reduce the load on the processor (I think Reaper does the same thing too and now Pro-Tools as of the last release).
No, I don't know even as I used to use Logic. Please elaborate.

This is what the manual says about reduced latency when monitoring :
"This option toggles latency compensation on and off for tracks which have input monitoring on. When enabled, input-monitored tracks will have the lowest possible latency, but may be out of sync with some other tracks in your Set (such as Return tracks, which are still delay compensated.) When disabled, all tracks will be in sync, but input-monitored tracks may have higher latency."
My bold.

To me this sounds like what you describe, but I'm not familiar with how Logic works with this detail so keen to learn about this.
Make some music!