New Ableton Suite User. Where to put my 3rd party samples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LincolnBanks

New Ableton Suite User. Where to put my 3rd party samples

Post by LincolnBanks » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Noobie to Ableton , any tips or links for workflow welcome.
Please can someone explain the optimum way to file 3rd party samples and packs for ease of use inside Ableton.
Do I create separate folder on Desktop and create a user path inside Ableton preferences or do I move the samples to the user folder inside Ableton.
Advice and instructions welcome.
On a Mac .
Cheers
LincolnBanks

jlgrimes

Re: New Ableton Suite User. Where to put my 3rd party samples

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:27 pm

LincolnBanks wrote:Noobie to Ableton , any tips or links for workflow welcome.
Please can someone explain the optimum way to file 3rd party samples and packs for ease of use inside Ableton.
Do I create separate folder on Desktop and create a user path inside Ableton preferences or do I move the samples to the user folder inside Ableton.
Advice and instructions welcome.
On a Mac .
Cheers
LincolnBanks

No right or wrong way. If you only have the built-in hard drive on your computer, I'd just stick with the defaults for Live Packs and your Live Library.

For user samples not in a Live Pack, they can really be like anywhere on your hard drive. Probably I'd guess most people would store user samples in your documents folders.

Just create a folder called "Live Samples" or better yet "Wave Files", or "Samples" or something (and organize stuff into subfolders within the main folder). All you have to do is add folder in your Places section of browser and Live will always have easy access to samples in that folder (it can take a bit for Live to scan through everything though but once it finds it initially, you are good).

The only other thing I would consider is whether to save samples on a separate hard drive or not. In some cases it can increase performance saving samples on an external drive but this was the practice before SSD drives. With SSD drives you will probably get better performance keeping everything on your system drive. If you are good with one hard drive though I'd just keep it as simple as possible.

mholloway

Re: New Ableton Suite User. Where to put my 3rd party samples

Post by mholloway » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Put them wherever you want on your hard drive, someplace organized by you --- then in Live, go to the browser and click the + Add Location button, then select that sample library area on your HD. Live will scan it, and then it will show up in the browser as a location that you can look at and drag and drop from whenever you want. I recommend just making one folder, e.g. "Sample Library", adding that to Live's browser as discussed, and then put all of your 3rd party content into that folder (via your system's OS). Live will scan it every time it gets updated.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir