Does anyone use Audacity as a clip editor?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Beauknowsdiddly

Does anyone use Audacity as a clip editor?

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:47 am

I'm trying to use audacity to repair some clicks I get in a recording. I have audacity set as my sample editor in preferences in Live, so when I click on the edit button in my clip sampler in Live 9 Audacity pops up and the clip opens up in Audacity. After I repair the clip in Audacity and save it (save project) Then I close audacity and it doesn't update in Ableton Live.... Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Thenks everyone!

Beau

PS. and how does one import clips from Audacity into Ableton?

re:dream

Re: Does anyone use Audacity as a clip editor?

Post by re:dream » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Ocenaudio is a powerful, simple and free alternative to Audacity.

From what I remember of the frustrating and unsatisfying times I did try to use Audacity, it saves the edited file somewhere stupid and you have to copy and paste it into the folder Ableton uses

Beauknowsdiddly

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks re:dream I'll check it out. I'm brand new at all this stuff and am only familiar with Audacity so far... But I'll check it out, and play with the folders as well thanks!

Anyone else?

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Beauknowsdiddly wrote:... After I repair the clip in Audacity and save it (save project) Then I close audacity and it doesn't update in Ableton Live.... Any clue what I'm doing wrong?
Yeah, it's the saving of the Audacity project that's tripping you up. Using Audacity as the clip editor is possible, but kind of painful.

What you have to do is:

- make your edits in Audacity,
- then do "File > Export Audio" (instead of File > Save)
- Audacity will ask you where you want to export it to, which means you have to know where that clip lives in your project (probably in .../<LiveProjectName>/Samples/Recorded).
- make sure you pick the right format (aiff, wav, etc.) as the original. (Note that if you're on a Mac and pick Apple's AIFF format, Audacity will try to name the exported file as "whatever.aiff", whereas Ableton names samples "whatever.aif", so you have to change the name to end with ".aif", at which point Audacity helpfully warns you that some applications won't recognize the file if you change the extension. Just click OK)
- Then it'll warn you that the file exists and ask you to confirm replacing it.
- Then it'll show a dialog to let you edit the metadata.
- Then finally it'll save the file.

At least, that's how I've used it the (very) few times I tried. It's definitely not a smooth workflow. If anyone knows of a better / easier way, I'd love to hear it.

As re:dream recommended, do check out Ocenaudio. It's much easier as far as interacting with Ableton.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Beauknowsdiddly

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks for all that ObtuseMoose! haha love the screenname btw! :). I'm getting pretty familiar with Audacity, so I'd kinda like to stick with that for now. I did check out ocenaudio though and could see right off the bat that you can only work with one track at a time, where as Audacity is unlimited. So you can add stuff to the track... Anyway I'll be playing around with your instructions! Thanks again! I REALLY appreciate it!!!

Beauknowsdiddly

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:03 am

Nope that doesn't appear to work :(. No matter what format I save it in, then change the ext to .als. When I load the set in Ableton I get "file is corrupt." "unknown compound stream type" :(.

Beauknowsdiddly

Post by Beauknowsdiddly » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:12 am

Okay so I'm trying to use Ocenaudio. Slight learning curve obviously. How do I fix the clicks and pops. In Audacity I just highlight the click or whatever and go to effects and repair... There's no repair in effects in Ocenaudio. :?

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:11 am

Beauknowsdiddly wrote:Nope that doesn't appear to work :(. No matter what format I save it in, then change the ext to .als. When I load the set in Ableton I get "file is corrupt." "unknown compound stream type" :(.
Ableton specific file types – Ableton AG

The .als file type is for Ableton Live Sets!

The .alc file type is the Ableton Live Clip, but even that is NOT the sample you're editing. It contains Live specific information about the actual sample, including its location.

You should either be editing a .wav or an .aif (and better not do external editing on compressed formats like mp3 at all).