Copy plugins from a track in another song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FrodeFrode

Copy plugins from a track in another song

Post by FrodeFrode » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Hiya, kind of new to Ableton Live - that is, I used to use it several years ago... - wondering, is there any easy way of copying a set of plugins from a track in another song, to a new track in the current song?

jpga

Re: Copy plugins from a track in another song

Post by jpga » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Save as clip and you are done!

FrodeFrode

Post by FrodeFrode » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:41 pm

jpga wrote:Save as clip and you are done!

Thanks! That put me in the right direction - I didn't actually have any clips in the track where I wanted to save the settings, but made a dummy-clip, saved that, and it worked fine :)

jpga

Post by jpga » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Nice!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 am

you can also copy the devices from one track to another without using clips by copying and pasting devices with the standard keyboard shortcuts...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:18 am

Drag and drop from one track to another while hold alt.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:20 am

i wrote that first but then realised they wanted to copy devices between sets...

FrodeFrode

Post by FrodeFrode » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks guys! :)

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Go to the browser in Ableton, under places you'll have your folder with your Live Sets, I hope so. Click to open the set you want, now you see all the tracks of this set, drag the track with the desired device into your current set. Ready.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:52 am

FrodeFrode wrote:Hiya, kind of new to Ableton Live - that is, I used to use it several years ago... - wondering, is there any easy way of copying a set of plugins from a track in another song, to a new track in the current song?
While you can use the browser, this only work for real tracks, MIDI or Audio, and not for returns or the master. The alternative can only be done from within the old song that needs to be loaded, where you select the devices you want to get and then group to a Rack, that you save as a rack preset. Then just load this preset in the newer song.

Sometimes, depending on the devices in the rack, like if they're plug-ins or Max For Live devices, it can be good thing to save a preset of each device as well, before you save the rack. Usually it works without this in my experience.
Make some music!

FrodeFrode

Post by FrodeFrode » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 am

Ah, great, thanks for the tip, I'll try that! :)
Stromkraft wrote:
FrodeFrode wrote:Hiya, kind of new to Ableton Live - that is, I used to use it several years ago... - wondering, is there any easy way of copying a set of plugins from a track in another song, to a new track in the current song?
While you can use the browser, this only work for real tracks, MIDI or Audio, and not for returns or the master. The alternative can only be done from within the old song that needs to be loaded, where you select the devices you want to get and then group to a Rack, that you save as a rack preset. Then just load this preset in the newer song.

Sometimes, depending on the devices in the rack, like if they're plug-ins or Max For Live devices, it can be good thing to save a preset of each device as well, before you save the rack. Usually it works without this in my experience.