strangle me but....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sebastian

strangle me but....

Post by Sebastian » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:38 am

i ask again

what products out there have great sounds,are not overloaded with features,and work easily with Live?

also,who makes can i get top notch drum kits?
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

Pilgrim

Re: strangle me but....

Post by Pilgrim » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:53 pm

Sebastian wrote:i ask again

what products out there have great sounds,are not overloaded with features,and work easily with Live?

Any decent keyboard module with a sequencer and . . . (Triton or Karma here)

Drums. . . DFH in DR008. . .

EOF

Pilgrim

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Sebastian wrote:what products out there have great sounds,are not overloaded with features,and work easily with Live?
* Hohner Melodica

* Marockan goat skin drum

Cheers,
Mikael

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:04 am

I assume you are talking VST instruments when you say "products"? NI's Pro-53 is a solid VST analog modeling synth. Very convincing, and not too complicated.

I also dig Reason, their subtractor and their NN-19 are pretty simple. You can get more complicated later on with the NN-XT if it pleases you, and the ReDrum is pretty easy to figure out too. Plus, it all comes with a legion of kits.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:36 am

montrealbreaks wrote:

I assume you are talking VST instruments when you say "products"? NI's Pro-53 is a solid VST analog modeling synth. Very convincing, and not too complicated.

I also dig Reason, their subtractor and their NN-19 are pretty simple. You can get more complicated later on with the NN-XT if it pleases you, and the ReDrum is pretty easy to figure out too. Plus, it all comes with a legion of kits.
I would second MontrealBreaks there on Reason .
The patch fix V3.01 for V3 will be nearing release status soon and has vastly improved CPU use for both PC and Mac platforms.
Actually the modularity of the Combinator + Cycling 74's Pluggo and free suite of Pluggo Jnr effects I know humbly refer too as Reaktor lite :D .
The two combined with Live make for a great deal of experimental goodness.

Also look at all the SMEX (Smart Electronix - Plugins) .
Project 5 V2 is absolutely fantastic with Live as it supports rewire host / slave mode has a more indepth arp section and highly configureable device chain structure.
Any sequence of MidiFX / Arp / Dxi/Vsti or Dxi/Vsti's + Dx/VST effects can be chained an save as presets.
You also get full velocity / splits / keychanges / layers / crossfades etc etc per Device chain.
The sequencer also allows tempo change mapping like Live but also allows for the insertion of multiple time signatured pattern sequences locked to grid within an arrangement.
PSYNII and Dimension are truly superb as are the DS864 , Velocity and Npulse drum synths.
Infact between Reason 3 / P5V2 / Live 4 and Pluggo I only use Karma FX modular Synth / CoFx's Kubik , Vectrik , Ensembler and Rock + the SMEX plugins for absolutely everything now.
I will probably skip the Live 5 update as I don't need the feature set with P5 thrown in and use the money towards a purchase of Ableton's Operator instead.
Easily the best setup I've used to date.
I use Live for all Audio tracking / manipulating etc.
P5 for all Midi rewired into LIVE.
Reason is sequenced in Live in Arranger mode only and most polishing off effects like multiband comps/eq , coompression / enhancers etc etc are used in Live.
i only ever use Combi Devices now and they are great for addign linear parts , atmospherics , pads and addition rythm fills / breaks etc.
I usually don't render but set the file a 24/48 and record it off my desk to an outboard recorder - yields great results and a very accurate mix this end.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:19 am

twiddle the ones you know, experiment with the ones you dont and revert when you fook up.
hurry up.... mr squigle....

zekrab

Post by zekrab » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:45 am

[quote="FaX-01]
Project 5 V2 is absolutely fantastic with Live as it supports rewire host / slave mode has a more indepth arp section and highly configureable device chain structure.
Any sequence of MidiFX / Arp / Dxi/Vsti or Dxi/Vsti's + Dx/VST effects can be chained an save as presets.
You also get full velocity / splits / keychanges / layers / crossfades etc etc per Device chain.
[/quote]

I thought that's what Live 5 is all about....

Sinjin

Post by Sinjin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:44 am

step 1: get reason. spend the time to understand it and develop a workflow. you will never regret it.

step 2: if you decide you want acoustically accurate drums, get DFH and wire it into NN-XT <make sure you get the upgrade pack> or if you prefer, do what i do and wire it through kontakt.

at any rate, reason + live is han-dee.

anybody else notice that kontakt2 is like logic platinum made into a plugin?
"I shoulda done the hat dance..."
http://www.myspace.com/ibsinjin - Where I posts my tunes

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:17 pm

drums... good and open minded drummer, very rare but killer.....

feyshay

reason drum kit

Post by feyshay » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:45 pm

The reason drum kit refill is very good in my opinion. I'd rather have drumkits from hell, but if you want something cheaper...
Also, for more "world" instruments, Trackteam audio has some good sounds on their Travel Box. That might get you by. The kits that are used on Reason DK are very high quality when used multi-out all mics through Reason's hardware into Live.