Transfer ableton, projects and plugins to new mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

Transfer ableton, projects and plugins to new mac

Post by mickmike » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:30 pm

I have a mbp running snow lepeord 10.6.8. I've gone as far as I can with it. I've got live 8, plenty of plugs, and old projects. What's the best way to get it all on newer mbp ( live licences etc ). I'm not bothered with what else is on the old one, as it's pretty just for music production ( although if it's easier to transfer everything that's ok). Thanks

Tarekith

Re: Transfer ableton, projects and plugins to new mac

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Back up you old MBP to TIme Machine, then Restore that Time Machine back up on the new MBP. If you find you can't authorize the new laptop, just Ableton an email at support@ableton.com and tell them you bought a new laptop, and they'll reset your authorizations for you.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Ok thanks

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:11 am

Tarekith wrote:Back up you old MBP to TIme Machine, then Restore that Time Machine back up on the new MBP. If you find you can't authorize the new laptop, just Ableton an email at support@ableton.com and tell them you bought a new laptop, and they'll reset your authorizations for you.
yes, do that and remember to decouple any plug-ins or other software tied to your old machine's signature. It's no fun having a ghost machine in either system (iLok, elicenser, Waves and so on).
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:47 am

yep, deauthorizing saves a lot of hassle.

with Plugin Alliance you can deauthorize computers from your web account, but with most companies this is not possible.

this is one situation where having a physical iLok can save a lot of drama, especially if you have a machine die or get stolen.