protool's "playlists" equivalent in Ableton Live 9 ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dURAb

protool's "playlists" equivalent in Ableton Live 9 ?

Post by dURAb » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi,

I'm a happy Ableton's user since now two years and I stop using pro tools step by step because all is simpler in Ableton. But Something's still bothers me :

When I use acoustic instruments I usually record several takes and choose later the better pieces of each take.
When I record drums in protools I group tracks and I can easily keep several takes and after that take all the drums tracks and choose a few bars in one take and a few bars in another. Same thing for vocals or guitars.
I hope I am clear !

Do you know a way to do this in Ableton ? If it's not possible is it planned for next updates ?

Last thing, is it possible to group "groups" ? Example I want to group overheads and mono mic of a drum kit (to process it together) and to send this bus in the drums bus. Is there a solution without using the aux ?

I've bought and watched a lot of tutorials but I didn't found any answers that's why I'm looking for help in this forum.

Thanks in advance,

Stromkraft

Re: protool's "playlists" equivalent in Ableton Live 9 ?

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:01 pm

dURAb wrote: …record several takes and choose later the better pieces of each take.…
Do you know a way to do this in Ableton ? If it's not possible is it planned for next updates ?
See all of these links for background and the current situation.
Make some music!

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:56 pm

dURAb wrote:Hi,

I'm a happy Ableton's user since now two years and I stop using pro tools step by step because all is simpler in Ableton. But Something's still bothers me :

When I use acoustic instruments I usually record several takes and choose later the better pieces of each take.
When I record drums in protools I group tracks and I can easily keep several takes and after that take all the drums tracks and choose a few bars in one take and a few bars in another. Same thing for vocals or guitars.
I hope I am clear !

Last thing, is it possible to group "groups" ? Example I want to group overheads and mono mic of a drum kit (to process it together) and to send this bus in the drums bus. Is there a solution without using the aux ?

I've bought and watched a lot of tutorials but I didn't found any answers that's why I'm looking for help in this forum.

Thanks in advance,
I am pretty sure you can't group groups, but you could set the audio routing to all go to one stereo channel. If I am understanding what you are saying correctly.
So group your overheads, and anything else you want, open the i/o options on the right and send audio out to a track that you send all your drums to instead of master! Should do the trick.

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Oh, and for multiple takes, I just create a new audio track, cut the parts I like from the original takes and drag them onto the new track, I am not sure I get the issue. I don't know pro tools tho so sorry if I am off the point here.

dURAb

Post by dURAb » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks a lot Jbvdb for the i/o trick I didn't have this idea ! I will use this trick for sure

But the most important missing thing for me is the "protools playlist" feature, of course I can open a new track and cut some parts (like I used to do with Cubase a few years ago) but it's really not the same thing. It makes a huuuuuge difference to me !

Thank you anyway for your advices

I will also vote for a new comping tool feature

Jbvdb

Post by Jbvdb » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:40 pm

dURAb wrote:Thanks a lot Jbvdb for the i/o trick I didn't have this idea ! I will use this trick for sure

But the most important missing thing for me is the "protools playlist" feature, of course I can open a new track and cut some parts (like I used to do with Cubase a few years ago) but it's really not the same thing. It makes a huuuuuge difference to me !

Thank you anyway for your advices

I will also vote for a new comping tool feature
Yeah, I haven't used pro tools in 10 years so I am not familiar with that!
But the io routing is actually pretty good, especially now that it's accessible from push!