Using Live in a conventional real live band

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mokomo

Using Live in a conventional real live band

Post by mokomo » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:48 pm

Anyone sitting on stage with a drummer, bass, keyboard, guitar and vocalist etc + Live?

I'm drained of enthusiasm for any more DJ-type fiddling, synthiness and crunchy beats are just makign me sleepy. Just want to use Live like it was originally intended - an instrument, the god of all effect pedals and live re-mixing of live music, to be played freely with other musicians playing with freely soulfully, on stage - few, if any, HD loops required.

No techno/glitch ambient please, it is doing my head in now and electronica is long due a hibernation period, despite its dwindling teen genre favoured status ... anyone doing some sort of soul/funk/rock fusion with Live (or whatever style?

If yes, where do you sit in terms of the mixing desk flow? Any detail on how long you've been using Live as an instrument, how you use it, music style etc would be great. Is your stage contribution a small part or the cornerstone of the performance?

Ta.
Dell Precision M60, Quattro USB, UC33e, Korg Triton Extreme, Motif Rack. SX, Reaktor, Absynth, SoundForge, Acid, Bidule.

Diskclaimer

Post by Diskclaimer » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:18 pm

I just go a nice drum kit cause I work with this guy that is an awesome drummer and will teach me for pennies...i am sick of programing drums and looking for samps....my buddies play some of the best guitar I have heard....sooo.......i think I want to set up a hybrid kit with pads and triggers mixed in.....i need more arms.....i will let u know if I find a way to grow some extra limbs..... :lol:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:10 pm

I'm sitting in with a pretty traditional band on monday... drums, keys, bass and guitar. I'll be doing synth arps, percussion and layering electro drums over the acoustic drum sound. As little as possible will be pre-sequenced, partly because I don't "do" pre-sequenced, and partly because we haven't got anything rehearsed, so it'll all be on the fly - the only way electronic music should be played. The style will be mostly-acoustic latin-jazz-house, so it will be fusion alright.

Wrt mixing desk flow, I assume you mean whether we effect or resample live? I won't be doing that on monday. Maybe at a later date, who knows - but I have done so in the past, on a more electronica-style setup, looping a vocalist.

About live as an instrument, i suspect the good people at schönhauser Allee designed live to be an "electronic music instrument", and the *process* of creating glitch or whatever isn't that much different. It's still dudes recording clips, triggering clips, and manipulating clips.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Live-Life

Post by Live-Life » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi
I use Live in a real band situation for playing back backing tracks.
Every song is loaded into the session on multi tracks and I fired them off on a row with the BPm setting. Other tracks are set up with vst instruments. I also have a cue track for the drummer for click tracks and cues etc..

I team this up with an xstation synth controller, gives me complete hands-free operation.

Works great and very rarely causes a problem these days. Version 3 used to crash occasionally, but the good thing was, The song kept playing!

Every other sequencer I have used live, crashed.

Live-Life

Post by Live-Life » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:31 pm

Hi
Every song is loaded into the session on multi tracks and I fired them off on a row with the BPm setting. Other tracks are set up with vst instruments. I also have a cue track for the drummer for click tracks and cues etc..

I team this up with an xstation synth controller, gives me complete hands-free operation.

Works great and very rarely causes a problem these days. Version 3 used to crash occasionally, but the good thing was, The song kept playing!

Live-Life

Post by Live-Life » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi

DustCookie

Yeah I'm trying

Post by DustCookie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:19 pm

See below
Last edited by DustCookie on Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad's Major

DustCookie

Yeah I'm trying

Post by DustCookie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:20 pm

repeat
Last edited by DustCookie on Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad's Major

DustCookie

Yeah I'm trying

Post by DustCookie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:21 pm

Did it for the first time the other night cause I lost my bass player for a gig so I recorded 4 songseses bass and guitar parts all day thursday and then went for it without really rehearsing it at night...:>

IT was a little scary at first cause I think I didn't sequence some of my launches correct or I couldn't count or I hit my enter key early...or something but it was kinda fun...until...

My click dropped off the planet, gone, don't know if it was live or my firepod or the monitor desk but suddenly my drummer was like what the poo and I had to do the rest of the set just guitar and drums, which is getting popular in some places? :>

But I'm trying again next week when it's just me and my guitar and Lappy (the laptop) we'll see how it goes, I'm gonna rent a midi foot pedal and try triggering scenes like that...

I did have some fun after that all tho cause I had sent my guitar and my vox thru live and added crazy effects to my vocal that the sound engineer could do nothing about...HA...which makes me think Live wasn't crashing but someone muted my click at the monitor or something

Peace,
DC
My Dad's Major

rick

Try Intime

Post by rick » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 am

I used to make our drummer wear headphones and follow a click when I was triggering sample loops off my midi guitar. But we were mostly a jazz/funk band, and the whole "mechanical tempo" thing just didn't work out.

Then I saw a movie demo of Intime. Basically, it follows the tempo of any midi-ed instrument. Have a look on their web site: http://www.circular-logic.com/

The guy sits there playing his guitar, speeding up, slowing down... and Ableton Live changes tempo to follow him. So... just fit a midi trigger or two to the drum kit and experience the freedom. Well... I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping to at some point.

Have a look at the demos on their web site. Looks like they've now added stuff on acoustic drum triggering: http://www.circular-logic.com/videos.html

The guitar demo still amazes me.

-Rick

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:15 am

I was in a kinda-band for a while.

We had a Turntablist who also played African drums, an MC who also played harmonica and me on both synths and Live.

I would lay down a basic beat (kick snare & Hi) and then it would all get started.

The turntablist and MC were mic'ed up to a mixer (though I could have run them in directly to my MOTU 828 but I prefered having them in a mixer). Then, I used the aux sends of the mixer to deliver the signals to the audio card. They would play to my core rythm loop, and I would capture and loop them in turn. I monitored in a second channel of the mixer. I routed Live's cue channel to one of the unused mixer channels and monitored there.

Of note, it is infinitely bad if you send your monitored channel to Live, and then cause a feedback loop. Very ugly digital noise.

Anyways, once I figured out not to do that, The show was smooth. Once the DJ finished playing his drums for instance and moved on to something else, I would "bring back" the drum loop. Then, he would start scratching n' stuff, and I would start re-ordering his drumming, by halving the tempo, applying Supatrigga to re-arrange it, etc.

The MC would lay down some vocal samples, which I would capture, then loop. he would continue freestyling, where I would record vocal hooks and repeat them when he paused.

I also generally played the basslines and occasionally pads or leads on the synth, again capturing and looping. That was the hard part, I never had a footpedal midi controller, so I could only "1 hand it" on the synth.

This was all before Live 4 so I couldn't record midi.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs