Edit recording in session view-workflow question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FrodeFrode

Edit recording in session view-workflow question

Post by FrodeFrode » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi all!

I know it is possible to set up an external sample editor in Live, just wondered about different workflows, or, if there are any better ways.

Example: I record 16 bars guitar.
I want to use the 8 bars from 9 to 16, except the last bar, where I want to use bar 7 instead.

As it looks for me, there are no obvious way in Live in session view to do this.

I would think I perhaps could record the clip to arrangeview, create the edits there, make a new clip and copy it to session view?
Or use an external audio-editor.

Any suggestions for workflow for this?

Martin Gifford

Re: Edit recording in session view-workflow question

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Not sure if it's the best answer, but that's what I'd do. The steps:

1. Drag the clip to the audio track in arrangement view, via the arrangement view button.
2. Expand the track with the down arrow.
3. select the section you want.
4. Click on the clip heading over the selected bit and while holding down the Ctrl key drag it to where you want.
5. If you are sure it sounds right, then select the whole clip and Ctrl J to consolidate. (If it has a click then right click and adjust fades before consolidating.)
6. Drag it back to session view.

Takes exactly 25 seconds apart from listening for possible clicks.

FrodeFrode

Post by FrodeFrode » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Martin Gifford wrote:Not sure if it's the best answer, but that's what I'd do. The steps:

1. Drag the clip to the audio track in arrangement view, via the arrangement view button.
2. Expand the track with the down arrow.
3. select the section you want.
4. Click on the clip heading over the selected bit and while holding down the Ctrl key drag it to where you want.
5. If you are sure it sounds right, then select the whole clip and Ctrl J to consolidate. (If it has a click then right click and adjust fades before consolidating.)
6. Drag it back to session view.

Takes exactly 25 seconds apart from listening for possible clicks.
Thanks Martin!:)

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

I do this too and it's pretty quick. But it would be nice to have a sample editor inside Live. I know it would be cool if Ableton put their own personal touch on it too. The only other thing I've ever asked for is a Tuner and after some deemed it unnecessary, it finally appeared and I use it everyday. Maybe the same thing will happen with a sample editor.....fingers crossed. That way, I would never have to leave Live (oh yeah, and maybe a pitch correction tool-seems like every DAW has one now).
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel