How long do you take to work on a song?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
chlo_edwards

How long do you take to work on a song?

Post by chlo_edwards » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:29 am

I know every song is different, but currently i've been spending about 5 hours a day on one song for atleast 2 weeks now haha is this normal? how long do you guys take?

Stromkraft

Re: How long do you take to work on a song?

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:29 am

chlo_edwards wrote:I know every song is different, but currently i've been spending about 5 hours a day on one song for atleast 2 weeks now haha is this normal? how long do you guys take?
From 10 hours to several weeks. I find it's faster to work in batches of 2 songs. When I run out of ideas in one I move to the other and back. If I just stay on one I risk doing things that destroy what might be good about it.
Make some music!

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:14 am

All my creativity works like a horse race. In music, for example, I might have 20 ideas that sound worthy. Then I add a little bit to each over about 1 or 2 hours total per day. Then gradually, some naturally draw my interest more than others, so those 10 start to get more attention. Then it's down to 5 favourites. Then as I'm heading to the finish line, I'll either focus on the one that is best or the one that is easiest, and it takes maybe a week to polish it off at 2 hours per day. Then I move on to 1 of the remaining 4 favourites, etc.

So there's three stages:

1) Beginning: Variety keeps me going.

2) Midway: Potential plus variety keeps me going.

3) Finish Line: The excitement of finishing good individual songs keeps me going.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:41 am

Anywhere from 5 mins to 10 hours a day... 0 day - 7 days a week

Completely write a song from start to finish (without "mastering") anywhere from 5 hours to 3 years

How many I work on at a time... 1 - 50

It's all variables.

I'd have to say though that the work I have been most impressed with is the songs I manage to get out quick, where the full idea comes within a few hours or days. If it's still in the half-ideas stage weeks/months down the track it's almost destined for the archive.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:08 am

Hours to months, really depends. Like Stromkraft I tend to work on mulitple songs/projects at once, so I'm often bouncing between multiple songs in one day.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:26 pm

It varies a lot. Sometimes things just fall into place within a day or a week, and other times it feels like a very challenging puzzle that lasts for months.

I'm not one to spend tons of time refining tracks though. I'd rather explore new ideas and be exposed to my weaknesses in my 90% finished songs, than spend a month losing my enthusiasm over that extra 10%.
Please vote! Live 10's "multi" clip editing should allow selection+editing of multiple clips in one action:

(L10-SUG-0228) Multiple MIDI transpose

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228094

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:43 pm

We started three tracks in 2012...after several major re-writes, we're expecting to finish them second quarter of next year.

That's three of us doing 0-40 hours each, every week. Three tracks each in the 10-20 minute mark...so...a long time! We go in and out of phases on working on one to three at any given time - although this sometimes backfires when we work out new techniques in ableton that force us to go back and change the other two tracks to utilise it.

buzby

Post by buzby » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 pm

it's so nice to read about people taking days to months to perhaps completing projects years after beginning them

anyone else a bit bored about the amount of music producer courses that are putting emphasis on "finishing a track a week ?" .. finish more quicker ..etc - even though it could be a good exercise now and then in working fast - decision making - dropping the perfectionism etc etc

i have a few projects going at one time - some tracks have come together in a matter of days . - some tracks im just finishing now after starting them last year -

for me - my enjoyment of making the track/messing with sounds/ etc ... is the bottom line of why i do this

... and things take as long as they take
https://www.facebook.com/abletonideas
https://www.youtube.com/c/abletonideas
https://hiddensound1.bandcamp.com/
macbookpro (2.6ghz, 8gb, 10.13.3) suite 10.0.1, izotope rx adv., apogee duet, sound devices 633, senn mkh 30, 8060, 8050, sony pcm d100

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:48 pm

buzby wrote:anyone else a bit bored about the amount of music producer courses that are putting emphasis on "finishing a track a week ?" .. finish more quicker ..etc - even though it could be a good exercise now and then in working fast - decision making - dropping the perfectionism etc etc
Definitely more the approach I take too. Too many people making music just for fun seem to put the expectations of professional song writer on themselves.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:01 pm

buzby wrote:it's so nice to read about people taking days to months to perhaps completing projects years after beginning them

anyone else a bit bored about the amount of music producer courses that are putting emphasis on "finishing a track a week ?" .. finish more quicker ..etc - even though it could be a good exercise now and then in working fast - decision making - dropping the perfectionism etc etc

i have a few projects going at one time - some tracks have come together in a matter of days . - some tracks im just finishing now after starting them last year -

for me - my enjoyment of making the track/messing with sounds/ etc ... is the bottom line of why i do this

... and things take as long as they take
While the latter is very true, it's also true that potentially the key to high quality is to let go of the high quality requirement for the "composer phase". Music needs to get out of our brains and be born into the real world. Working quickly with different methods creates time for experimentation and taking risks with a song.

Some ideas won't hold up and that's not a problem as the later "producer phase" takes care of selecting, discarding or refining those. While it's certainly possible to wear different hats during the same music production session I've chosen to deliberately postpone the evaluating producer phase to after I've made a non final arrangement. This allows musical ideas to come out that I didn't knew I could have. To me, this way of working means good, clean fun. To give in to focusing on great sound only have never led me far, though I always pay some attention to those aspects on the driving elements while composing. That's where I am currently anyway.
Make some music!

buzby

Post by buzby » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 am

brilliant stromkraft - never thought of it from that angle as well

think i'll give it a go as an experiment -

give myself a defined short period of time ... (1 day to 1 week period) as a deadline to make a rough non final arrangement
https://www.facebook.com/abletonideas
https://www.youtube.com/c/abletonideas
https://hiddensound1.bandcamp.com/
macbookpro (2.6ghz, 8gb, 10.13.3) suite 10.0.1, izotope rx adv., apogee duet, sound devices 633, senn mkh 30, 8060, 8050, sony pcm d100