Can't hear Audio sound from Windows&Youtube while using Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ItamarFriedman

Can't hear Audio sound from Windows&Youtube while using Live

Post by ItamarFriedman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:28 am

hello guys.

I have a really annoying problem with Ableton live 9 intro !

every time i open the software I can't hear sound from windows anymore nor from any other place (just from LIVE itself)....after i close the program sometimes there's sound and sometimes not..
If i want to fix it i just need to restart windows...further more...instead of the fact that there is no sound anywhere when I use Ableton, if i want to open a video in youtube - the video itself won't work... i can move the clip to any part of the video, but it just won't work, it will be stuck.

I am using SPL crimsoin external sound device if it helps... i really want to fix this problem !

thanks a lot !!

evon

Re: Can't hear Audio sound from Windows&Youtube while using Live

Post by evon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:30 pm

It seems Live is using your sound card's drivers exclusively. I use to have a similar problem, only just with the audio and not video.

I solved this by going to option, audio and select no audio. When I want to use Live again, I just select audio device/driver again.

Some DAWs have the option to restrict the audio driver being used by them exclusively and you only need to set this once. Have not seen this feature in Live.

Hope this helps.
fe real!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:16 pm

I had this same problem, but found a way to fix it.

In my system, the problem was that Live was set to use 48k Hz sampling, but Windows was set to 44.1k Hz sampling. Click the speaker icon down in the lower right corner of your tray, open up Playback Devices and click the Properties button. On the Advanced tab, you can check what the sample rate of that device is. Make sure it matches the sample rate that Live is using. You'll have to do this for every channel on your soundcard since each channel shows up as a separate device.

After I made this change, I could run Live, stream YouTube, SoundCloud, watch tutorial videos, etc, all at the same time with no audio issues.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Excellent call, Richie Witch. Matching sampling rates of my Windows audio with Live after change of audio device or OS reinstall has become so automatic for me, I didn't even think about it now. It only fails regularly when I use Sound Forge that tries to force the ASIO driver to match the sample's rate when playing.
evon wrote:I solved this by going to option, audio and select no audio. When I want to use Live again, I just select audio device/driver again.
Did you know there's a shortcut for that? - Clicking Live's CPU meter toggles the audio engine off and on again.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:05 am

I thought it depended on the driver. ASIO4ALL just does one program at a time. FL Studio's driver does multiple programs, as does the default windows driver. Also, my Focusrite driver does multiple programs.

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:45 am

Martin Gifford wrote:I thought it depended on the driver. ASIO4ALL just does one program at a time. FL Studio's driver does multiple programs, as does the default windows driver. Also, my Focusrite driver does multiple programs.
Of course it depends on the driver, that's why I looked up the Crimson first:
Multi-application mode, simultaneous ASIO and/or WDM playback
... and got stuck, because I didn't even think about the matching sample rates.

vento

Post by vento » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:19 pm

THIS WORKED - You are amazing. THANK YOU :)
Richie Witch wrote:I had this same problem, but found a way to fix it.

In my system, the problem was that Live was set to use 48k Hz sampling, but Windows was set to 44.1k Hz sampling. Click the speaker icon down in the lower right corner of your tray, open up Playback Devices and click the Properties button. On the Advanced tab, you can check what the sample rate of that device is. Make sure it matches the sample rate that Live is using. You'll have to do this for every channel on your soundcard since each channel shows up as a separate device.

After I made this change, I could run Live, stream YouTube, SoundCloud, watch tutorial videos, etc, all at the same time with no audio issues.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 pm

vento wrote:THIS WORKED - You are amazing. THANK YOU :)

Glad I could help. 8)
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Wulle

Post by Wulle » Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi all,
I have the same problem. I cannot switch between Live 9 and youtube (where I watch tutorials). This is quite annoying.
I use ASIO4ALL v2 driver in Ableton (I use Windows).
I tried to make changes according to suggestions in this thread but cannot make it work.
Can anyone help?

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 am

Wulle wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 pm
I use ASIO4ALL v2 driver
Martin Gifford wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:05 am
ASIO4ALL just does one program at a time.
There's your answer.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 am

Wulle wrote:
Hi all,
I have the same problem. I cannot switch between Live 9 and youtube (where I watch tutorials). This is quite annoying.
I use ASIO4ALL v2 driver in Ableton (I use Windows).
I tried to make changes according to suggestions in this thread but cannot make it work.
Can anyone help?
The fix would be to get a decent audio interface that supports multi-driver management so you can haver ASIO with your software and the direct audio driver for windows allowing all audio sources to work.

kryzmusic

Post by kryzmusic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:54 pm

This was the key for me too. Good fix. Thanks for your help!
Richie Witch wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 pm
vento wrote:THIS WORKED - You are amazing. THANK YOU :)

Glad I could help. 8)

kongN8R

Post by kongN8R » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:30 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 am
Wulle wrote:
I have the same problem. I cannot switch between Live 9 and youtube (where I watch tutorials). ...
The fix would be to get a decent audio interface that supports multi-driver management
Getting "a decent audio interface." Does that mean buying an audio card?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 pm

Yes. If you are using the one that comes inbuilt in your computer, that's far from decent and not designed for the task.

The correct terminology I should have used would be to get a Pro Audio interface that is designed for use with Pro Audio software applications.

shoey9998

Post by shoey9998 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 am

Richie Witch wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:16 pm
I had this same problem, but found a way to fix it.

I know this thread is dead and all but dude you literally just made my week. Thank you kind stranger