looper + change of tempo question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dinodrone

looper + change of tempo question

Post by dinodrone » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 am

Hi, Im practising to use abelton for live performances with the inbuilt looper feature. I'm playing with my midi keyboard+pads, as well as my real instruments (bass and vocals).

i've assigned a button on my foot pedal which clears all the loopers (so i can finish and start a new song). when i start a new song the tempo changes, and in doing so my midi keyboard changes key/pitch. this makes it impossible to then start playing my bass with it.

any idea how to get around this?

thanks in advance

dinodrone

Re: looper + change of tempo question

Post by dinodrone » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:04 am

anyone please?

ilikeawesome

Post by ilikeawesome » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 am

I don't really understand what you mean, but maybe you could use the +12, +24 or -12 midi effects to change the pitch, but I don't really know what you mean.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:30 am

Are you saying that you record into the looper with keys, and when you play it back it changes pitch?

So then when you try playing bass, it won't be in tune?

Have you tried using Looper's function that sets the Live tempo to the same as the recorded loop?

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Looper unfortunately always changes pitch with tempo. Faster tempo = pitch raised, slower = pitch lowered. Should only affect audio material in the Looper though, not MIDI. It really sucks though, I hate having to drag the audio from Looper to a clip slot, then change the warp mode from repitch to anything else just to change tempo when jamming. Alternatively you can resample from the Looper track to an audio clip. Both are annoying flow-busters for me.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

dinodrone

Post by dinodrone » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:08 am

Matt_Quinn wrote:Looper unfortunately always changes pitch with tempo. Faster tempo = pitch raised, slower = pitch lowered. Should only affect audio material in the Looper though, not MIDI. It really sucks though, I hate having to drag the audio from Looper to a clip slot, then change the warp mode from repitch to anything else just to change tempo when jamming. Alternatively you can resample from the Looper track to an audio clip. Both are annoying flow-busters for me.
this is what im talking about. ive accepted this now, however ive discovered another glitch.

sometimes it the midi keyboard changes key DURING a song without even changing the tempo. any idea what is going on? im running multiple loopers at the same time. really giving me the shits. for example i record a loop on the piano, then record on the bass, then later in the song ill turn the piano loop off and start playing it live and its in a different key! maybe it has something to do with the "song control" and "tempo control" settings in the looper?

kakakaka

Post by kakakaka » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:09 am

Hello,

I’m starting again this topic because I would like to know if someone has an idea about changing the tempo using looper without changing the pitch of the loop. Does anyone know if a plug-in exist with max for Live?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 am

The Live Looper cannot change tempo without changing the pitch of the loop as it doesn't have a time-stretch facility.

There are other loopers on the market which offer this. Live's looper has some unique benefits of integration but is also limited in certain ways.

I think Moebius does timestretching. It's worth remembering that stretching audio will always reduce the quality because audio artifacts will be introduced from the stretching algorithm or method. It's probably better to find performative ways to bridge the gaps wherever possible.