Latency issue on new MacBook Pro / Sierra

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomcolontonio

Latency issue on new MacBook Pro / Sierra

Post by tomcolontonio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 am

Just got my new MacBook Pro setup 2.7ghz /16 gig /512g touchbar machine.

I just noticed I'm at 29ms latency on this machine! With no vst even being use 512 buffer...

I was 16ms on my 2012 MacBook Pro with less memory on el capitan..

Anyone experiencing this?? :evil:

Stromkraft

Re: Latency issue on new MacBook Pro / Sierra

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:12 am

tomcolontonio wrote:Just got my new MacBook Pro setup 2.7ghz /16 gig /512g touchbar machine.

I just noticed I'm at 29ms latency on this machine! With no vst even being use 512 buffer...

This is why professional audio interfaces were invented and continue to sell.
Measured 29ms latency of what? Key press to audio? Tool that made this measure? Have you copied over your older settings of everything?

This sounds way too long though. I'd call Apple. you have free support now, right? At minimum they should be able to tell if you should expect worse latency on this new machine. Most effective is to be polite yet firm when in contact with support.

You think 512 samples is a low buffer?
Make some music!

tomcolontonio

Post by tomcolontonio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:38 pm

tomcolontonio wrote:Just got my new MacBook Pro setup 2.7ghz /16 gig /512g touchbar machine.

Stromkraft wrote:

This is why professional audio interfaces were invented and continue to sell.
Measured 29ms latency of what? Key press to audio? Tool that made this measure? Have you copied over your older settings of everything?

This sounds way too long though. I'd call Apple. you have free support now, right? At minimum they should be able to tell if you should expect worse latency on this new machine. Most effective is to be polite yet firm when in contact with support.

You think 512 samples is a low buffer?

yes.. I use a UAD Apollo 8 on my Mac Pro system in the main studio. But the Macbook pro is a travel machine, Airplanes, Cars etc. The latency is measured in the Ableton Preferences under the "Audio" tab 29 ms output latency. As I stated in the original post.. on my older 2012 macbook pro the output latency is 14 ms. using no audio interface ( Using the headphone jack) Just curious why on a newer , faster machine its slower than my 4 yr old machine.

Yes.. Im using my settings ive used for years in the setup. This is most likely a Sierra problem as per usual though with Apple.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:42 pm

tomcolontonio wrote:
Yes.. Im using my settings ive used for years in the setup. This is most likely a Sierra problem as per usual though with Apple.
It shouldn't be macOS Sierra. I've only heard about latency improving on older hardware. It's certainly possible the built-in audio is not of low latency. Which would be so stupid. I'd complain to Apple. Maybe they can do something about it.

It could be that you need to clear out a cache or something. If you have a fresh external disk you could try and boot from that and see if another system makes a difference.
Make some music!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Ugh - this doesn't sound cool at all...I just ordered a new MBP. I'll keep an eye on this :(

tomcolontonio

Post by tomcolontonio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:33 pm

I could try and boot from the old system. My friend is ALSO having the exact same issue.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:53 pm

tomcolontonio wrote:I could try and boot from the old system. My friend is ALSO having the exact same issue.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The old need to be Sierra as well. A mint install would be best.
Make some music!

North63

Post by North63 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Just got my new MBP with touchbar with 2.9GHz, 16GB up and running with Live and latency is about the same as my late 2014, also 2.8GHz and 16GB both configs with Novation Audiohub. I have not yet been able to test with my Babyface Pro. CPU % is running a bit lower in Live than the old machine, but I was hoping for a bit less CPU, actually.

Fan is running a lot, but I think that is due to lots of data being copied to/from iCloud.

tomcolontonio

Post by tomcolontonio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Just did some more testing..

With My Apogee one ( USB) Im at 13.9ms with a 512 buffer

around 8ms with a 256 buffer

With the internal output from my MBP ( 2016 Touchbar) im at 29ms..

Idf this image wont work.. this link should... dropbox is making me postal as well now for some reason
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bfvn5lmemrpw ... 1.png?dl=0

Its just bizzare to me this is happening on a new more powerful machine.. Annoying too... But IM not sure who to blame.. Sierra or Ableton lol

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:06 pm

there was a similar issue a couple of years ago with another model of MacBook Pros that had high latency when using the internal sound interface. i can't remember if that was ever resolved or not, although i would guess that it's a driver issue that can be fixed by Apple...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 pm

tomcolontonio wrote:IM not sure who to blame.. Sierra or Ableton lol
Neither. As I said macOS 10.12 Sierra on some other hardware doesn't seem to affect latency like this and I don't think it's Live in this case. Blame Apple and their selection of audio hardware and/or drivers. You should take this up with them.
Make some music!

tomcolontonio

Post by tomcolontonio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:30 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Neither. As I said macOS 10.12 Sierra on some other hardware doesn't seem to affect latency like this and I don't think it's Live in this case. Blame Apple and their selection of audio hardware and/or drivers. You should take this up with them.
No need to be so butthurt man.. Im just asking questions. What do you work for Ableton? how do you know for sure its apple. Ive been using ableton since its inception and it is not without its issues for example.. its near impossible to record vocals in this program STILL after using a small amount of tracks without putting the buffer to its lowest setting. When are they gonna fix that? or is that my super powerful mac pros fault too?

ryanmendoza

Post by ryanmendoza » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:49 pm

Stromkraft wrote:

Let's not forget it can also be Ableton related. There are so many factors that come into play, especially with newer hardware and software has to written specific to hardware sometimes. Who knows, OSX Sierra can have a new Patch soon as well as Ableton. This laptop barely released and I too, am getting latency issues as compared to my other computers. Only time will tell, for now we use the Audio Interface to get the most out of it, but with a large project running and I'm traveling on a plane, the latency could get annoying.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 pm

tomcolontonio wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
No need to be so butthurt man.. Im just asking questions. What do you work for Ableton? how do you know for sure its apple. Ive been using ableton since its inception and it is not without its issues for example.. its near impossible to record vocals in this program STILL after using a small amount of tracks without putting the buffer to its lowest setting. When are they gonna fix that? or is that my super powerful mac pros fault too?
What's with you? Your deduction ability leaves a lot to be desired. Do you have anything against simple logic?

I'm saying that if
  • Live 9.7 on macOS Sierra on other MacBook Pros does not display these latency issues then how is Live the reason?
  • And likewise how is macOS Sierra to blame for the same reason?
While it certainly is possible these could be involved, it's not much more possible than if your email account or your preferences could be behind this in some kind of interaction. These are all, in one word, Unlikely. Which doesn't mean you can rule them out completely.

What's left is the audio hardware and the drivers for it.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:13 am

ryanmendoza wrote: Let's not forget it can also be Ableton related. There are so many factors that come into play, especially with newer hardware and software has to written specific to hardware sometimes. Who knows, OSX Sierra can have a new Patch soon as well as Ableton. This laptop barely released and I too, am getting latency issues as compared to my other computers. Only time will tell, for now we use the Audio Interface to get the most out of it, but with a large project running and I'm traveling on a plane, the latency could get annoying.
yes, that's possible. But interaction issues means Apple and Ableton are both responsible and they will both blame each other until they are blue in the face.

Interaction issue indicators would be if the audio hardware only display these issues with Ableton Live. Until there are indications of this with other DAWs interacting much better when compared in the current MBP models and an older model, then there are few reasons to specifically cast the blame on either Sierra or Live.

Likewise if this does not happen on another current MBP model, or if booted up from another fresh external install of Sierra, then how is it that any of these sweeping loose blames are to stick?

Occam's razor can swing in different directions but basing blame on insufficient data is mere speculation. It's also very boring and unenlightening.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!