Do I Need More?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
naomifix

Do I Need More?

Post by naomifix » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:18 am

Ive been watching crazy amounts of tutorials and learning so much, but now I am wondering if I need more than Ableton Live 9?? Should I get FM8? I really like what I hear with some of these tutorials where they use FM8 amongst other things. I like the trancey sounds that are happening. Or am I good? Just keep learning and I'll get there without additive? Thanks! :D

Stromkraft

Re: Do I Need More?

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:32 am

naomifix wrote:Ive been watching crazy amounts of tutorials and learning so much, but now I am wondering if I need more than Ableton Live 9?? Should I get FM8? I really like what I hear with some of these tutorials where they use FM8 amongst other things. I like the trancey sounds that are happening. Or am I good? Just keep learning and I'll get there without additive? Thanks! :D
Let it take the time that it takes. You asking may indicate you're ready for the next step. Only you know for sure.

Because of taste, after a 11 months on the Suite instruments, I moved into using synths in the Native Instrument Komplete bundle like FM8, Massive, Reaktor and its synths like Razor. That, hardware and virtual analogue drum synths changed everything for me. I still use quite a few of what sound sources are available in Suite, but I'm happy I got those instruments and quite a few effects plug-in as well to seek out my sound. Everyone's path to get to that is different. You can only open yourself to yours. Take decisions that you feel excite you. Don't look so much at features as listening to how it sounds when you turn the controls. or just trust your general feeling. Sooner or later you will be focused on what you like.

Also, remember that limitations are a great source for creativity and that it's very possible to make a whole album just using Live and maybe some free plug-ins. Don't miss out on freebies and discounts this time a year if you want to invest, but don't go overboard. I still haven't used all that I bought even two years ago. Some I resold and got new tools instead. You evolve and understand better what you want by using these.
Make some music!

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:22 am

You don't "need" more but it can be fun anyway. Do artists with these big studios full of analog gear really "need" all of that? Possibly not. Live has some good built-in synths, especially if you have the suite. Though I think the rather basic and tiny interfaces hold me back in using something like Operator or Analog. I wish they had an expandable interface that could easily be 4 times as big with much more of the controls in your face. But for there's also fun in different ideas in different synths that lead to different results, so a mix of built-in, plugins and some hardware feels more fun for me. But you have to be careful not to overdo it either. Sometimes more stuff just gets in the way of actually learning something and creating.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:21 pm

I love FM8. Go grab the demo version and give it a try. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... downloads/

They currently have 50% off of it too
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:29 am

Okay, I'm not able to afford much but I see some stuff I am now going to check out, and of course the support is appreciated guys. Reeeeally good feedback and answers. Thanks so much. (I am having fun!)

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:20 am

naomifix wrote:Ive been watching crazy amounts of tutorials and learning so much, but now I am wondering if I need more than Ableton Live 9?? Should I get FM8? I really like what I hear with some of these tutorials where they use FM8 amongst other things. I like the trancey sounds that are happening. Or am I good? Just keep learning and I'll get there without additive? Thanks! :D
My friend....I mean this from the heart. If I could do it all over again and this advise is coming from a newbie into Ableton for two years now. Hold off buying anything as long as possible unless you know this gear whether hardware/software is something you know you definitely need. If you know can continue learning Ableton without making any purchases, I would continue to do so. Learn Ableton so editing becomes second nature to you. Understand macros, how to build racks, etc. There is so much to learn about the intricacies of the software. I made the mistake of purchasing way too may too many plugins, controllers, hardware synths etc thinking this would improve my production skills. Backfired in a big way and almost paralyzed me from getting anything done because I did not know where to start.

I got depressed for wasting money because newer models of certain controllers I have already come out. Thank God I finally learned how to use most of the gear and plugins I have, but I would tell a newbie NEVER approach learning Ableton thinking more gear is the answer. I invest all my spare money now in education. Unless you are born with an uncanny gift for understanding DAWs, Midi, Analog gear, CVs, expression pedals etc, most people need formal training. There are members on this forum that never took a class in their life and probably could be Ableton certified. I am not one of those people.

In your case, you just want to add a single synth as you must apparently want to learn about sound design. I say go for it because that is a small, yet smart smart investment that will teach you concepts you will learn and be able to apply in the future. That's the key. Knowledge.

You did not mention if you have a controller. I am a semi pro guitarist and haver a midi controller on guitar. I also have a 61 key keyboard controller and a Moog Sub 37. I LOVE playing keys and if you do not play an instrument at this time and are producing just using a mouse, I strongly suggest investing in a 49 key controller for a couple of reasons.

1,) Fun factor. Playing notes is in my opinion is more fun than writing midi..

2.) You will learn music theory because if you get a keyboard, you will need to learn scales, cycles of 5ths, arpeggios, inversions etc. You do NOT need to learn how to read. Just basic concepts. I truly believe that every EDM musician should be able to play the basic fundamentals on a keyboard or controller. Most producers do not want or have the time into learning keys which is said. . If you were to put 15 minutes a day, everyday into practicing keyboards, after one year you will be blown away how proficient you became and more importantly, your ear will develop which is so important.

Sorry for getting off topic. I want to see everyone succeed and not make the mistakes I made.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm

No one will really be able to answer this question but you.

IMO if you are just on the Standard edition of Ableton, I would definitely look into some new synths.

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:33 am

EasyWorkflow wrote:
My friend....I mean this from the heart. If I could do it all over again and this advise is coming from a newbie into Ableton for two years now. Hold off buying anything as long as possible unless you know this gear whether hardware/software is something you know you definitely need. If you know can continue learning Ableton without making any purchases, I would continue to do so. Learn Ableton so editing becomes second nature to you. Understand macros, how to build racks, etc. There is so much to learn about the intricacies of the software. I made the mistake of purchasing way too may too many plugins, controllers, hardware synths etc thinking this would improve my production skills. Backfired in a big way and almost paralyzed me from getting anything done because I did not know where to start.

I got depressed for wasting money because newer models of certain controllers I have already come out. Thank God I finally learned how to use most of the gear and plugins I have, but I would tell a newbie NEVER approach learning Ableton thinking more gear is the answer. I invest all my spare money now in education. Unless you are born with an uncanny gift for understanding DAWs, Midi, Analog gear, CVs, expression pedals etc, most people need formal training. There are members on this forum that never took a class in their life and probably could be Ableton certified. I am not one of those people.

In your case, you just want to add a single synth as you must apparently want to learn about sound design. I say go for it because that is a small, yet smart smart investment that will teach you concepts you will learn and be able to apply in the future. That's the key. Knowledge.

You did not mention if you have a controller. I am a semi pro guitarist and haver a midi controller on guitar. I also have a 61 key keyboard controller and a Moog Sub 37. I LOVE playing keys and if you do not play an instrument at this time and are producing just using a mouse, I strongly suggest investing in a 49 key controller for a couple of reasons.

1,) Fun factor. Playing notes is in my opinion is more fun than writing midi..

2.) You will learn music theory because if you get a keyboard, you will need to learn scales, cycles of 5ths, arpeggios, inversions etc. You do NOT need to learn how to read. Just basic concepts. I truly believe that every EDM musician should be able to play the basic fundamentals on a keyboard or controller. Most producers do not want or have the time into learning keys which is said. . If you were to put 15 minutes a day, everyday into practicing keyboards, after one year you will be blown away how proficient you became and more importantly, your ear will develop which is so important.

Sorry for getting off topic. I want to see everyone succeed and not make the mistakes I made.

thank you so much, i haven't bought anything, i have a max49 but it's not working for me, i hate taking too long to do things i think it got damaged in a hydro problem we had with melted wires and no grounding a year ago. it was covered and i'll be getting something else. something simple. a midi controller keyboard and that's it. nothing else. i might get a pad thing one day for fun. too. i am picking up an electric ukulele that i rented, it's awesome. i love it. i play classical guitar but again i'd waste a lot of time with that. i have good acoustics in my studio that is a converted living room with all wood walls. lucky to have this rental. we're building a sound booth using an old kids bed frame to make it fast and easy. i play a bit of keys/piano and i trained in violin and flute and love them both. i'll be getting a flute this year too. I have a weighted keyboard that is beautiful and can record onto ableton as well. it has a harpsichord and strings etc.

i am pretty simple.

i sing a lot. that's my main instrument.

i can play bass, etc. i learn best by ear but know some theory

passion!!!!!!