HELP! Recieving MIDI but no sound.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
accessrequired

HELP! Recieving MIDI but no sound.

Post by accessrequired » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:09 am

Hi, I am not new to Ableton Live 9 but I am new to using hardware synths within ableton. So I have ableton Live 9 on my Dell alienware. I have a Roland JDXI synth with my scarlett focusrite audio interface. I receive midi just fine, I also receive sound out of my audio channel that is linked to the synths midi channel. My track is armed and monitored as well. BUT I only receive sound when I manually hit the keys. I can place notes in the piano roll and it roll over them and the midi button will flash but no sound comes out of the audio channel. I tried to use the external instrument option as well, same thing. Just rolls over the notes and receives midi, no sound but I can hit the keys on the actual synth and get sound just fine. Any help is appreciated. This is so frustrating, thanks!

Emanresu0891

Re: HELP! Recieving MIDI but no sound.

Post by Emanresu0891 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:38 am

What Os are you using?
Is midi being sent via usb or a midi cable?

accessrequired

Post by accessrequired » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:26 am

Emanresu0891 wrote:What Os are you using?
Is midi being sent via usb or a midi cable?
Windows ten. MIDI is being sent from my synth via midi cable to my interface, then interface to my computer via USB.
Alienware 15 VR2, Live 9.7, Akai MPK249 controller, Roland JDXI Hybrid synth, scarlett interface, JBL monitors, line 6 and behringer amps, 4+ guitars.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:02 am

Look at the MIDI ports section in your Live MIDI preferences: The "Track" option for the output to your audio interface should be activated.

Also on the MIDI track the MIDI To should be set to the interface's midi port.

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Hey.. im having the exact same issue lol. Im using microkorg with MIDI cables to my pcs internal soundcard .. I also hear sound and see midi being activated when i hit the notes! but when i play back the midi theres no sound even though i see midi being triggered. only way i get sound is to record the audio channel but then it comes as audio clip to the arrange view D: really frustrating.. hope we can get this resolved soon !!!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:47 am

Umm, thats how it works? you need to direct the midi output back to the synth...

Cheers
D

Volkan Topal

Post by Volkan Topal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:21 pm

S4racen wrote:Umm, thats how it works? you need to direct the midi output back to the synth...

Cheers
D
Hey, if u referred to my reply then; i have midi in from korg to soundcards midi out and vice versa.. I think its correct. Also I know that in the end Im gonna have the clip as audio, but i want to quantize and whatnot before i do that so its in synced in time. Now i cant because it only reads midi when i play it back so if id render the midi into audio its only silence

cheers

accessrequired

Post by accessrequired » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:45 pm

I can even record my audio track, see the sample, and it still will not play sound. It also shows the clip as deactivated.
Alienware 15 VR2, Live 9.7, Akai MPK249 controller, Roland JDXI Hybrid synth, scarlett interface, JBL monitors, line 6 and behringer amps, 4+ guitars.

accessrequired

Post by accessrequired » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 pm

chrk wrote:Look at the MIDI ports section in your Live MIDI preferences: The "Track" option for the output to your audio interface should be activated.

Also on the MIDI track the MIDI To should be set to the interface's midi port.

I already did that, like I said I'm receiving MIDI just fine and MIDI is triggered on the piano roll. Just not getting sound through the piano roll, but I get MIDI and sound when I reach over and manually hit the keys.

mofo74

Post by mofo74 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi there. Wanted to check if you have found a solution to this problem, because I'm facing the same issue and don't know what to do. I have also set the MIDI From to the Audio Interface that is connected to the synth, and the MIDI To to the back to the Audio Interface. I can record midi notes using the keyboard, and there is sound, but I cannot play back the recorded Midi clip. Can anyone please help? :(

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Assuming the hardware side of things is connected properly, my first thought is to check that the monitoring setting on the relevant MIDI track is set to "auto" not "in". If it's set to "in" Live doesn't play the recorded MIDI, only incoming MIDI. You can hear MIDI you're playing and the recorded MIDI together if you leave monitoring set to "auto" and record arm the track.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

mrsternbandteacher

Post by mrsternbandteacher » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:19 pm

did you check to see if the other tracks are soloed and your midi track is not. i *just* figured this out in 2020! :P

mafishco

Post by mafishco » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm

I have same problem and this helped
It could be in the USB cord: re root USB hub / automatically turned off in Windows 10 - change in device manager
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/prevent ... sb-device/

lolacee

Post by lolacee » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:14 am

I had the sameee problem literally half an hour ago and while reading one of the responses it clicked. If you feel you have done everything right yet the sound is showing but not playing/making any type of noise, you may have to drag over an instrument onto the midi track. Say you're using a keyboard, that keyboard is meant to act as a soundboard (if you plug it in through midi). If you wanted said instrument to play as is *my guess is* you are meant to attach it to the same place you would attach your microphone. Just an FYI, this is assuming you're using some kind of medium/soundbox to do all of this.

Let me know if this works! For whoever's reading, I know it may feel like you'll never figure it out but after 2 hours of struggling, I finally figured it out and was gassed!!! Keep reading, keep searching, and keep calm :)

iamokay

Post by iamokay » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:36 pm

I know it’s an old thread, but since I had the same problem and couldn‘t solve it for quite some time I thought I might post my solution :D
I am using a Moog Subsequent 37; I connected audio and Midi (via USB), but when I started a clip (on my MIDI track with an external instrument on it) the Synth just wouldn‘t play ... but the MIDI light kept flashing. So I knew it received MIDI info, but why wouldn‘t it play?
If you‘re having the same problem check for the „input MIDI channels“ on your hardware Synth - the MIDI in has to match the MIDI channel on your external instrument in Ableton. My Subsequent was set to channel 10, and as soon as I switched to 10 on the external instrument, it started playing. It‘s easy to confuse MIDI channels with audio input channels on your interface ...
Hope this helps!