USING MIDI ON VST'S

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Greeky

USING MIDI ON VST'S

Post by Greeky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi ! I'm having some troubles with my MIDI configuration, I noticed they was a MIDI section in the forum but I could'nt find it to post my problem.. :?:

So, here's my configuration: NOVATION LAUNCHKEY MIDI + SOUNDCARD FOCUSRITE + KORG VOLCA SAMPLE

The MIDI clock is OK, it looks well sync even if there's some troubles sometimes, nothing important i'll find a solution to this.

But now I have a new problem. I'm using ableton to play tribe/tekno music. I've got my samples turning threw the KORG and I use VST's and pad loops in the mixers of ableton wich are midi synced with the KORG like I said before.

When you put a PAD or a Sound Effect in a mixer for example you have automatically 6 knobs that are directly linked with my NOVATION knobs.
So when I select another mixer with some other sound in it the MIDI template of the knobs changes.

The problem is that when I manually link some controllers the templates aren't effective, when I select another mixer and that I turn the potard it will be the linked one even if it isn't in the selected mixer chosen via the Novation launchkey.

Hope I was clear enough; if I wasn't please tell it to me I'll try to explain myself in a better way and use screenshots.

Thanks I'm sure there's a solution in the MIDI preferences. Goodbye !

pottering

Re: USING MIDI ON VST'S

Post by pottering » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:01 am

That's how it works, it overrides the Remote Script, if you want it controlled only when the track is selected, rack the VST and map the parameter to a Macro knob, not directly to the controller knob.
♥♥♥

Greeky

Post by Greeky » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:21 pm

What do you mean by racking the VST? Sorry for my bad english

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Right Click on VST....

Cheers
D

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:32 am

♥♥♥

Alfonx

Post by Alfonx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Great. I have to learn more about that macros.

Two things came to my mind:
- This solution does not work with generic midi devices: Of course you can map a knob to a macro - but the knob will control every device you mapped on every track simultaneously.
- How to map more than 8 vst-controls to knobs ....
https://soundcloud.com/alfonx/sets/alfonx-tracks
Hey there! I create and remix music in the genres dance/pop and electronic/techno.
PC & Mac. Live 11, push2, NI S61 and tons of softsynths...

timday

Post by timday » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:06 pm

Once it's on a Macro you don't need to map the knob. Set up the launchkey as a control surface (and unmap any MIDI assignments you have made) and once the rack is selected you will find that the launchkey pots turn the macros. The thing to look for is a blue hand at the top of the rack showing that the launchkey is controlling it. If you select a different rack the launchkey will control that not the first one. Basically the launchkey will control whatever is showing the blue hand symbol without MIDI mapping.

You can also assign keys (Midi or laptop) to various racks so youcan punch between the ones you want to control easily.

/edit sorry by generic MIDI devices did you mean things that aren't launchkeys etc? That is true msort of but a surprising number are in the control surfaces list.

Alfonx

Post by Alfonx » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi @timday,

yeah - i meant "generic MIDI devices" :D
I own push2 and a "normal" (big) midi keyboard (emu xboard 49).
I just use the xboard to play along and sometimes map knobs to vsts (but nothing more) on my Desktop.

Now i am looking for a SMALL midi keyboard (i would love to have 36-37 keys) with A LOT of knobs and stuff.
For playing around on my Notebook (without push).

And i just learned its better to buy a "midi keyboard/controller for Ableton" so it just works and i can control all that Abletonfunctions.
So i am thinking now about Akai MPK mini mk2 or Arturia MiniLab MK2.
I understand i can easily control the device which is "selected by the blue hand".
The decision is tough!!!!! I found "Novation 25 SL Mk II" its an very old device - but it got a lot of knobs, faders, .... Thats awesome!! But i dont know if its running in Live 9 / 10....

I REALLY(!) would like to have a clip/scene launcher too (integrated in that tiny keyboard) ... but the devices i saw (APC key 25; Novation Launchkey mini mk2) dont have pitchbend/modwheel.
Thats odd........ :x

Cheers
Alfonx
https://soundcloud.com/alfonx/sets/alfonx-tracks
Hey there! I create and remix music in the genres dance/pop and electronic/techno.
PC & Mac. Live 11, push2, NI S61 and tons of softsynths...