Windows 7 -- Interface DPC latency issue - ACPI.sys driver

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dylanbjohnson

Windows 7 -- Interface DPC latency issue - ACPI.sys driver

Post by dylanbjohnson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newb at computer-based music production.

I started having an issue with my Focusrite 2i2 being unable to process audio. All of the sudden, audio sounds terrible in Ableton.

Spoke with Focusrite tech support. Ran LatencyMon.

The ACPI.sys driver seems to be the culprit, and I need some assistance remedying the approximate 4.6ms execution time of the driver.

Everything seems to be up to date on my HP dv6 7014nr. (HP Pavilion dv6-7014nr Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support)

From Focusrite chats:

“There seems to be (1) real problem driver, which is the ACPI.sys driver, which looks to be related to power management. I really think that at this stage speaking with HP will be the proper next course of action to figure out the power management issues with your PC.”

So they said to “tell them the ACPI.sys driver seems to be the culprit, and I need some assistance remedying the approximate 4.6ms execution time of the driver.”

Finally: “ACPI.sys = This issue occurs typically on laptops. This can be difficult, sometimes impossible to solve. This driver is for ACPI on your motherboard which controls different power modes. First disable any sleep settings on your PC and do normal PC optimization. In some cases disabling the ACPI Battery from within device manager also helps. This may disable the ability for the PC to charge the battery on a laptop--- -- from Sweetwater's DPC solutions page.”

Any ideas here on how to fix this issue? HP charges $60 to call tech support. I really, really appreciate any help here. I really want to get back to making music.

Stromkraft

Re: Windows 7 -- Interface DPC latency issue - ACPI.sys driver

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:36 pm

dylanbjohnson wrote: I'm a newb at computer-based music production.

I started having an issue with my Focusrite 2i2 being unable to process audio. All of the sudden, audio sounds terrible in Ableton.

Spoke with Focusrite tech support. Ran LatencyMon.

The ACPI.sys driver seems to be the culprit, and I need some assistance remedying the approximate 4.6ms execution time of the driver.

Everything seems to be up to date on my HP dv6 7014nr. (HP Pavilion dv6-7014nr Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support)

From Focusrite chats:

“There seems to be (1) real problem driver, which is the ACPI.sys driver, which looks to be related to power management. I really think that at this stage speaking with HP will be the proper next course of action to figure out the power management issues with your PC.”

So they said to “tell them the ACPI.sys driver seems to be the culprit, and I need some assistance remedying the approximate 4.6ms execution time of the driver.”

Finally: “ACPI.sys = This issue occurs typically on laptops. This can be difficult, sometimes impossible to solve. This driver is for ACPI on your motherboard which controls different power modes. First disable any sleep settings on your PC and do normal PC optimization. In some cases disabling the ACPI Battery from within device manager also helps. This may disable the ability for the PC to charge the battery on a laptop--- -- from Sweetwater's DPC solutions page.”

Any ideas here on how to fix this issue? HP charges $60 to call tech support. I really, really appreciate any help here. I really want to get back to making music.
What is ACPI? (file.net)

HP Notebooks forum
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:16 pm

What kind of power profile do you have set for your laptop? Sometimes anything other than max can make your processor lazy.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 am

yur2die4 wrote:What kind of power profile do you have set for your laptop? Sometimes anything other than max can make your processor lazy.
Yeah go into your windows "power management" settings if you haven't and disable anything to do with power management of CPU, Disk and USB. This is not good for battery life but required for real-time software.

Bdumaguina

Post by Bdumaguina » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:21 pm

+1 on the power management bit.

Worked with a Toshiba Satellite L750 and Focusrite 6i6 before. Should be the trick. Although after around 4 years of hard work in film music, laptop opened for 18-20 hours a day (bad habit I know, but deadlines are deadlines), and after batteling battery problems, PSU problems, event ID 41 problems (Kernel Power), laptop died on me. Let us know how it pans out.

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:36 pm

Have you got the 1st or 2nd Gen Focusrite?
Have you checked for updated ACPI.sys (device manager, right click under batteries I think it is, update driver, search www?)
Have you tried using a custom power plan so that you can un throttle all the eco friendly, but un eco Ableton friendly, settings?
Have you tried increasing buffer size of Focusrite ASIO.
Are you using MME or ASIO?

I had a 'mare of a time using Windows 7 when Ableton updated to 9.2 I think it was. Slow opening of the Orchestral packs etc. Cache folder didn't populate. In the end I updated to 10 and still had issues. The only fix from that point was a reinstall of Windows 10 from the ground up. That was the path I took. I spent hours trying to figure out what was going on. Ableton, bless them, had to be convinced to take over the Laptop to see the sluggishness. As I say the only way past the problems I had was Windows 10 anon. Unfortunately we get taken along by the upgrades like we are white water raffting. Can't expect all operating system versions to be supported forever I suppose. Used to do IT and the first thing HP will ask is, is it upto date anyway. Then you'll say, yes but it's windows 7 and then they'll probably tut, take in a breathe really loudly like someone stood on their toe and possibly refuse to support you until you upgrade to 10.

Joel.

speak soon

Joel W-J

Post by Joel W-J » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Oh by the way I have a marginally lower spec laptop to the one you have.

I have i7 2670QM 2.20Gigagumdrops with 8Giga wotsits of RAM with a non SSD drive.

Yes it gets upset sometimes but I figure that it's probably due a fresh install because I just upgraded to the 1607 (OS Build 14393.447) only two weeks ago after hanging on for ages because they always F___ something up when they upgrade OS Patch Builds.

I also spent a good few hours turning off as much I possible from Windows Snoopy 10 so that "I" could control when the upgrades happen so that I don't get any nasty surprises. For example, turning off the tiles, disabling services, windows updates and applications I have no intention of using.