iOS midi sync to hardware

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mickmike

iOS midi sync to hardware

Post by mickmike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:56 pm

I have a basic hardware set up. Drum machine as host going through Kenton midi thru into synths. I also have an iPad. I've tried in the past to incorporate the iPad into my set up, but never achieved want I wanted. I want an iPad synth sequence to be midi triggered by drum machine and to obviously be in sync. I've read about irig and iconnectmidi etc but what is the way to go?. The audio would be sent to a desk. Thanks

yur2die4

Re: iOS midi sync to hardware

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Do you own any spare USB audio interfaces?

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:57 pm

I do. Focus rite Safire 6, and a mini 1 in 1 out.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Do either of those do midi?

The least expensive option might be to use the Lightning to USB 'camera' adapter. The more recent one has an additional lighting in to keep your device charging.

Then you'd have whatever quality of hardware that your interface is for your device's audio and midi.

In some cases you need a Powered USB hub (especially if you connect more than one device). Think of your phone as a modular daw/computer, much like Live. You can connect most midi and audio devices to it without issue. It's just that it does not have the built-in USB port so it requires an adapter.

The other options (line 6, etc) are overpriced and will limit you to only being able to use that one device (since it is using up your lightning port). But a USB hub can connect often times 6 things at once. If you only need one device, just use the adapter on its own with your interface.

mickmike

Post by mickmike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Still not getting hooking up external interface etc. Really looking for a device that can connect the iPad to the midi chain, and be synced to the host (drum machine).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Saffire 6 has midi input. Drum machine has midi output. What kind of drum machine? Some have USB or korg wist options.